Organic milk

What are your thoughts on the health benefits of organic milk? I have recently heard that hormones in non-organic milk can cause the early onset of puberty and am wondering what other information/opinions are out there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Organic milk is more than just a way to avoid the hormones added to conventional milks; by purchasing organic, you are also limiting your family's exposure to unnecessary chemicals. Organic milk must come from organically-fed cows, which means no pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, fungicides & chemical fertilizers are used in the production of the cow's feed, all of which can impact a developing brain. Also, the cow can't have been on antibiotics for at least a month before milking. Remember, what the cows get, you drink in their milk. From an environmental perspective, you are also doing something wonderful for our planet in terms of sustainability and stewardship. Yes, organic is expensive, so do what I do, if you can't grow it yourself, then buy organic the things you consume most often.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Organic milk is expensive, but I would DEFINITELY buy it if I could afford it. I do believe that some hormones in milk and food are causing us to hit puberty earlier. I actually started puberty at seven and got my period at nine. So it's nothing new, though, it's probably been happening for at least 15 years.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• It's better than milk with hormones, but milk generally isn't that healthy to consume.

www.notmilk.com
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I buy only organic. The Bovine Growth Hormone they use in dairy cows causes new born calves to die within 24 hours if consumed. And we give this to our children? That and their is puss from all the antibiotics and infections that is not strained out. So when you are drinking non organic milk you also are drinking puss. And I don't care how much organic milk costs. I'm not drinking pasturized puss. That is just too gross for me. So I will skip the cookies and sodas to buy orgainic dairy products.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Milk, organic or not, is not the health food that it is promoted to be. We avoid it as much as we can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Perhaps I should just start another thread....but I have a question. Why is milk so unhealthy. My son's nutritionist reccomends it - in moderation. All things in moderation of course. But until reading this thread I have never heard of milk being unhealthy.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• visit www.notmilk.com . There are a TON of health problems associated with milk.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Also, America is the country that consumes the highest amounts of dairy, but we also have the highest amounts of osteoporosis...why? Makes you wonder...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i love milk, and i buy non organic whole milk and i won't change my milk drinking ways, oh and i didn't start my period til i was 12 and didn't get boobs til i was 13.
    But you do what makes you happy and makes you feel healthy, sorry i just wanted to share that i love milk.
    momof2andloveit

Answer by momof2andloveit at 5:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I use cow milk on rare occasions, like when the organic is on sale, but generally I get rice milk.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2008