red spot about the size of a quarter?

I EBF my 3 month old and I noticed a red spot the size of a quarter on my areola(sp). It doesnt hurt I'm just wondering what it is or if it could be bad.

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 8:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Health

• I would call your doc. It could be anything. My sister had that when her milk came in red hot spots. I do not know if this is the same. It could be an infection or blocked milk duct.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 9:19 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It is probably a blood blister. My guess would be that she got a bad latch during a nursing session and gave you one. I had them when my son was first born. If you had mastitis, you'd have streaks on your breast, not on your areola, and a fever. I'd just keep nursing. Maybe check your daughter's latch and make sure she's getting as much of your nipple as possible in her mouth. If it becomes a problem, see a lactation consultant. Good luck!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Ask to be sure, always ask to be safe. But it is probably one of those things that come and never come again. Good luck!
    Michelle
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 11:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2010