What in the world is it with all these

designer baby names?

Someone posted the other day asking what our opinion was about what she wanted to name her child. The majority of the answers were "no way" and one person answered "what is wrong with naming your child something different...blah...blah...blah...I named my child this and that...blah...blah...blah"

The thing is, I think you should name your child for them, not for you. When I named my kids, I would through every spectrum of what they could be called or teased about with their names and THAT was my deciding factor because if not, believe me...I would have loved to have named my daughter "Moonbeam" or "Starfire" and my son "Titan" or something out there but I didn't because ultimately, it was them that were going to have to live with whatever stupid decision I made. What do you think?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:50 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Baby Names

• I have to agree! It can get pretty over the top sometimes! Even with my own kids and friends who asked for opinions, I remember that adorable baby with the cute name is going to be an adult, somebody's grandma or grandpa one day! Different is fine to a degree but remember that child has to go into the world and be taken seriously at times and work etc.. Don't make it tougher on him or her because you thought "Bladesofgrass" was cute and original!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have heard some bizarre names.. but also some very cute ones on here.. Sometimes I think people try extremely too hard to go out of their way to be different from everyone else.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:00 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree with you completely
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree. 100%.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• A name should mean something. It should fit the child and be something they can hold up their entire lives. It shouldn't be for show, it shouldn't be for fun, it should be something that truely has meaning.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:18 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yep, there are so many "fun" things I could have named my children, but ultimately I have to name them something that will work for them no matter what kind of job they get or person they become, ya know?!?
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 9:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree. I named my children after people I hoped that they would be like, not the run of the mill names, but not names like moonbeam or whatever else... Isaiah and Elijah.
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 10:26 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It seems that parents who select these names project a lot of selfishness and immaturity. I believe it brings attention to them, and in some (many) cases, I believe that it makes the parents feel that they will be regarded as intellectual themselves. It achieves the opposite effect.

At any rate, they definitely aren't thinking about how this name is going to make their child feel for the rest of their life! There are plenty of names off the beaten path that are acceptable, it doesn't have to be made up with missing vowels to be special! And then I think of the poor kid in kindergarten, learning to spell that one. Or the adult trying to be taken seriously.

My husband has an extremely unusual name. Everywhere we go, spelling, pronunciation, etc. is a problem. He absolutely hates it and would gladly take a more common name.

If you want a weird, fanciful, or made up name, save it for your pet cat!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:02 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Seems like anything you name your child, there will someone who comes up with a cruel nickname if they want to. Like I named my second daughter Avalon and went through everything thinking about how someone could make fun of it and beyond the 'you're named after car' thing, I could think of nothing. Don't you know, this year, in 5th grade, some ingenious, smart-ass kid came up with the nick name 'Babble-on', which fits because she does love to talk a lot, and now people are calling her that and she's upset.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:56 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree.But i went teh old fashion way and named kids after family.
    froggiemac

Answer by froggiemac at 11:25 AM on Nov. 29, 2010