Mixed Race?

Can someone answer this for me. If your mother is white and father is black when checking the box on what race you are do you put the race of your mother or father. My sister is white but her husband is Hispanic but she checks Hispanic for her children. I also had a friend who mother was white and half asian and his dad was black but he also put black. A caller I heard today on the radio said that if your mixed race the race that gets checked is the race of the mother.
If that is true, the Obama would be consider white, and my sister children would be consider white. But it always seems to go by the minority.
So if your mother or can answer this children which race do you pick, the one that will better benefit the child. This has always made me wonder. When I ask my sister that's what she says.
Please keep it from Bashing.

pandermom

Asked by pandermom at 2:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Meh, I'll probably end up checking both for my daughter lol! She's going to be hispanic and white. I'm the white one, her dad is hispanic. It doesn't matter to me, I don't think putting one or the other will necessarily "benefit" her in the long run. I'm going to raise her to be damn proud of both of her heritages, I don't want her to think of herself as "just white" or "just latina".
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• See, that what I would like to see. raise them both ways and teach them about background. Don't let your race determined what school or education you get or more benfits you get.
    pandermom

Answer by pandermom at 2:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• i put other cause i have irish, german, spanish and etc etc. everyone is mixed race one days. most people have more then one race cause your ancestors all came from somewhere overseas.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I thought they added a biracial box! lol! I really don't know, though. I think way back in the day you were considered to be the minority race if you were biracial, but I never heard about the race of the mother thing. It seems odd, though, that they'd expect you to pick one or the other!
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 3:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• It amazes me how people think that if your mixed you should decide which race you are. Gosh darn your both!!!!! Alot of forms today have a box for bi-racial or other. Or its what ever the individual feels more comfotable with. We all know that Halle Berry is bi-racial but she claims Affrican American all the time. On the other hand Mariah Carrey claims she's just mixed. I have 3 bi-racial children and I teach them to be proud to be both white and black. I hope they check other or bi-racial on those forms that desperatley need to know....
    Anonymous

• Go to wikipedia and type in the "one drop rule" it will explain why historically african americans with mixed blood such as aa mom and white dad or vise versa or white mom aa dad or hispanic dad or whatever are considered black. it's controversial due to the reasons it was started etc but it will explain why He is considered black even if he is mixed.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• do they have a bi-racial box, because it think that better. My sister in law is from African but is white should could mark African-American because that where she is from. Why does it have to be based on skin color or which one gets you the better chances
    pandermom

Answer by pandermom at 3:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Also... why should it matter at this point. There are more imporant issues ahead of us for the next 4 years other than what he decides or others decide his race is.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• it should not matter but people are playing the race card, to there advantage and it needs to in, make a scholarship for available for every based on qualifications not on the background or gender, religion or anything else they find to pin point one over another . The question was asked how do you mark yourself, do you pick one over the other or put "other".

Another example when my sister kids where in state care, they were labeled Hispanic why? does it matter they need help there race should not be a common demonator.
    pandermom

Answer by pandermom at 3:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• wikipedia is so hard to tell if it's true are not, since any one can write one.
    pandermom