Did Jesus celebrate his birthday every year?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are documents telling of birthdays being celebrated in Ancient Egypt, and I think the only mentions of birthdays in the Bible are in the OT during the time of slavery to Egypt.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:12 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• simple answer...nope the bible doesn't mention his b-day ever being celebrated. I remember reading somewhere too that Dec 25 isn't his real birthday either...somthing the Catholics came up with to get the pagans into the church. I think Dec 25 was originally a pagan holiday celebrating the winter soloist. I could be wrong though...don't remember the whole story, maybe I should google it.
    Anonymous5

Answer by Anonymous5 at 9:19 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't think so because he did not suffer from pride and he was very modest. But I don't know that is just my thought.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 9:49 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I'm not sure, that would probably depend on what the Jewish customs of the time were....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Whether he did or not will never be known for certain. Chances are birthdays were recognized, however the celebration would have been very different from what we picture today, simply because life was very different.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:57 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I can't say. I don't know what the Jewish customs were at that time regarding birthdays.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:14 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If Jesus celebrated his birthday it would have been in the customs of that time but it would not have been a religious observance. As the bible does not tell us specifcially when he was born or the custom of celebrating birthdays we don't know.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes, remember. The winter solstice is the REAL reason for the season....NOT Jesus! Jews didn't celebrate birthdates because of their concept of time. Plus, it was considered "flying in the face of god" to celebrate a birth, as it might encourage him to put a permanent stop to it. I.E. make sure there weren't any more birthdays by killing the arrogant celebrants. Such a celebration made a person of more importance than god on that day. And we all know how Yahweh feels about idol worship...even if it's yourself.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No where in the Bible does it indicate that he did.
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• In all my study I have only read of His birth, death, and resurrection...No, His birth was likely not in December...If it was important God would have told us the date..
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2010