Do you "believe" in evolution?

Believe is really the best term for it, that's why I put it in quotes. Evolution itself is a FACT--it happens and has been observed both in labs and in nature, but the debate comes in with explaining HOW it happens. Evolutionary theories attempt to explain how it happens not whether it happens.

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting read for those who are interested:
Ten Daily Consequences of Having Evolved

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• where did the apes come from that we supposedly evolved from?

WOW, way to butcher that one. Evolution does not state that we "evolved from apes" but rather both apes and humans evolved from a common primate ancestor. Primate referring to the "Order" Primate. Some characteristics of this "Order" include features such as opposable thumbs, stereoscopic vision, and sexually dimorphic.
    In other words our thumbs allow us to touch each of the fingertip pads on the same hand. Our vision is comprised of two images which merge into one(this is why when you look straight ahead and close one eye and then open it and close the other the visions differ slightly, and the physical traits between males and females are different. Apes are the same.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Evolution is a fact, yes I "believe" in it. Though that's like saying the Earth rotates around the sun. Evolution is simply the explanation that changes in a given species take place over subsequent generations. The only thing to debate is if those changes took place exactly like scientists say. New evidence gives way to new thoughts on what caused the changes. The fact remains though that evolution is happening all around us. Depending on the organism it may change and adapt on a yearly basis (such as the flu virus) or take several hundred or thousand generations before we notice it..
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I don't "believe" in evolution. I know it to be fact. It is the best explanation for what we see in the world around us. Unlike a belief system, if someone found a better explanation for the evidence it would not destroy my world view and shatter my beliefs. Evolution is constantly being tested and refined. It's one of the best described theories in science.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 11:27 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The theory of Evolution is that in which animals adapt to their surroundings as their surroundings change. For example, with primates they evolved into using more "modern" tools and walking primarily on their hind legs as food became more scarce and their old resources weren't benefiting. As well as other reasons, it is just that the environment .. whether food, preditors, climate, etc .. changes the animals have to change as well. Other suggestions are that mating within a species, but with a different breed, can help evolution as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:15 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes I believe in Evolution.. I am a pagan and I believe in Nature.. not only do I believe in Physical evolution.. I believe in mental, social and spiritual evolution of ourselves and the gods :-)
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 10:14 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes.
    Definition of EVOLUTION
    1: one of a set of prescribed movements
    2a : a process of change in a certain direction : unfolding b : the action or an instance of forming and giving something off : emission c (1) : a process of continuous change from a lower, simpler, or worse to a higher, more complex, or better state : growth (2) : a process of gradual and relatively peaceful social, political, and economic advance d : something evolved 3: the process of working out or developing
    4a : the historical development of a biological group (as a race or species) : phylogeny b : a theory that the various types of animals and plants have their origin in other preexisting types and that the distinguishable differences are due to modifications in successive generations; also : the process described by this theory
    5: the extraction of a mathematical root
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:18 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes, I "believe" in it. Or, rather, I accept it.

And people need to understand the word "theory" and how it is used in science. There are theories and there are laws. Theories can be "fact" without qualifying as laws...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think people get confused when we start using words like fact and theory. For example, MATH (yes, simple addition) is THEORY, however, because of the consistency of which it works over and over again, most people consider it to be FACT. Now, the reason I say this is because there is obviously continued confusion over the idea that evolution is fact. Scientifically it's THEORY, however, because, like math, it's proven itself over and over again without flaw if is theory equal to FACT...

Now, to your question, yes, I do believe in Evolution. I believe in what's called Creator Guided Evolution, which means that I believe the Gods use Evolution as a tool to shape creation, but that yes, I still believe in Evolution.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Evolution is a fact, how it relates to traditional bible teachings is the area that is "theory" for some people. I believe in evolution as the creation of man (and all beings as they exist today), but I'm likely to get pounded for that comment.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:47 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes I believe in evolution.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:17 AM on Nov. 29, 2010