Should I Get an Electric Car for my 3yo?

He's been asking for the Power Wheels Lightning McQueen electric car for a good month. (It's the only Christmas present he consistently talks about wanting). It's expensive, about $240 on sale.

My older kids had a jeep which they loved, but at the time I lived on 5 acres. Right now, we live on .5 acre, there's really not a lot of room to ride it. Also, we live in NE Ohio, there are several months out of the year when it's going to be too cold and/or snowy for him to ride it.

I can't decide if I should just get it for him, or get him something else instead. My DH wants us to get it for him, I am completely on the fence and need opinions. I was thinking that he'd like an iPod touch instead, he uses his dads all the time.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 9:11 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd get it for him. When we got my daughter's we lived in an apartment complex and didn't even have our own backyard. We would take her riding through the apartment complex and everytime we'd go somewhere I would load it up in the truck and take it along with us (park, friends house, parents house). If it's something he really wants then why not? I def wouldn't buy a 3 year old an ipod touch but that's just my opinion.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:27 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If there is not enough room to ride, I would go for the IPod touch instead!

Answer by older at 9:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't for a three year old. Mainly because of the cold part. He will not understand when it is too cold to actually go ride in it. Maybe for his next b-day.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would do the car over the Ipod touch definitely. I always wanted the barbie convertible power wheels, my parents never got it and I resent them to this day. Ha.
    bingbong

Answer by bingbong at 9:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I personally would get it for him. I got my daughter one and she loved it even though it had to be packed away as we live in Maine and also have the seasons to contend with. The good thing with those is that generally you can sell them pretty easily if it doesn't work out. Unfortunately we moved to an area where the hills and the terrain just won't allow the thing to work, she actually needs a real one. We sold and let her spend the money on something to replace it. She has been hanging on the money in her savings jar because now she wants the real thing. She is just about 7 so I think this summer we are going to check into a used one. Good luck, let me know what you decide.
    elphay

Answer by elphay at 9:18 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would. A half acre is plenty to ride around in.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think you should not get it for him. It sems too expensive for something he will most likely out grow in a yr. or two. Plus he's 3; he may not know if you opt for a less pricey one.
    ebraud

Answer by ebraud at 9:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• i wouldnt
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 1:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010