How do I get my 3 year old to know that I need time for myself too?

I am a stay at home mom and my daughter insist that I play with her every second of every day which is impossible for me. I want to know if there is a way to teach her or something I can do to help her be ok with playing by herself and letting mommy have a second to herself without hurting my daughters feelings.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• WHEN YOU FIGURE THAT OUT, I WANT SOME CLUES TO....I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. DEMANDING, NO PATIENCE. SO MUCH DIFFRENT THEN MY BOYS. I WILL BE WATCHING THIS QUESTION
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 2:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I HAVE A 11MNTH OLD BOY THAT I HAVE TO TEND TO AS WELL. SO YOU CAN IMAGINE THIS IS CRAZY AND DRIVING ME CRAZY. LOL
    racingmomma

• I have a 6 yr old and when she was 4 I got the pleasure of being a stay at home mom, well I was like you and wanted my time. The way I learned this was to get her a baby doll and tell her its time to play house after about 5 minutes of playing i would tell her that it is nap time for you and the doll. Explain to her that nap time is quiet time and while you (fake) sleep (on the couch) and the doll sleeps(where ever she wants the doll to sleep) she is to do what you do, go in her room and do something quietly so the two of you can sleep. Now this may last only 5 minutes but its better than nothing.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 7:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Here's what I do with my 3 almost 4 year old. well I've done this with her since she was three..
    Get a coloring book and crayons/colored pencils... etc... make sure you have plenty of magnets on the fridge, tell her you want her to color her a couple of pretty pictures, and be sure to add lots of color to it. That'll keep her busy for a while.
    My DD also has a kitchen set with a full utensil set and everything. If I want a few minutes to read or crochet, I ask her to go fix me a big snack. You're still playing but you can get her to give you a few minutes of peace.
    Does she sit still for a movie or something? My DD gets to watch a movie at noon every day. she'll pick it out, and she sits down and watches it. it gives me an hour to two hours depending on the movie she chooses.
    What kind of things is she interested in? what things do you do together? that may help to figuring out how to give her a nudge to solo playing.
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 9:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I read a parenting book where they suggest you teach a kid to have "room time". The true purpose of this activity is to build up their creativity and time they can occupy themselves (by them playing with creative things like blocks, toy people, etc.), and you start with a small amount of time (15 mins) and work your way up. Once they get that they have to stay in there and play, if you have it for 30-45 mins yoiu at least get a short break while they're learning to concentrate and play by themselves.
    Anonymous

• I put my 3 year old on the computer. Educational games only! He is very good at working the mouse now. He plays games on playhousedisney.com, noggin.com, nickjr.com, and sesameworkshop.com. He will be amused for about a half hour at a time playing games. At first you have to work with them, but it doesn't take long for them to figure it out. The first game he was able to play was on Sesameworkshop and it was Elmo's Keyboard (something like that). Anyways, they can hit any button on the keyboard and it will do something. If they hit a letter, it will say the letter, if they hit a number, it will say the number and if they hit the space bar it "tickles" Elmo.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2008