Herpes?

Let me start with making it clear i've only been with 2 people in my whole 20 years of living. The second guy, whom i'm currently with and is also the father of my child gave me herpes the first time we had intercourse. I just want to know is this going to cause me to have a c-section? I never really have outbreaks. Ever. It's crazy. I just wanna know if i can still deliever naturally? Thank u for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Your doc should have you on something for the entire pregnancy and then decide when the time is near. My friend dealt with this, and she had a natural birth but was on continuous meds. Baby is now 3 and fine. She was very worried. She was assulted in high school and had herpes as a result. I have since learned through her that one in three people suffer from this. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:25 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• First of all, if you're not on a medicine regime, you need to be. Either Acyclovier or Valtrex and secondly, since this is a question that can affect your babies like, this is a question you need to bring up to your OBGYN not us.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Please inform your doctor about this. As a former sex educator, I can tell you that the risk of passing H to babies is small if you have had it for a while, but if you just contracted it in early pregnancy or right before, then your body hasn't had the chance to build antibodies and the fetus IS AT RISK. Even if you have had it for while, you must tell your doctor, so that in the last two months s/he can put you on Valtrex. Don't mess around with STD's and pregnancy - tell your doc right away (if you haven't already.)
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:26 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If you have an outbreak by the time your labor comes around the dr might think its a good idea for a c-section.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:15 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think they will give you a medicine that will suppress it. I know someone who had it and delivered naturally. Talk to your doctor about it, it's something they need to know anyway.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 9:17 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• ONly if you have active open sores at the time of delivery
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:40 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Make sure your doctor knows you have this disease. Now, if you have never had regular outbreaks, I doubt your doctor is going to put you on a regular schedule for medication. That is for people who have near constant outbreaks. You usually are only at risk of a c-section if you are having an outbreak when you go into labor. Again though, speak to your doctor about all this. It's a lot better than advice online. Some of the comments here are wrong, the exact opposite of what I've heard a doctor advise. CarriePM has very good advice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Nov. 29, 2010