Do you take the soaps?

When you travel and are in a hotel do you take the unused soaps and stuff home? I always take the ones I've used but I was told by my MIL (who has never worked in hospiality) that due to cross contamination the places are required to toss out the unopened ones as well.

Also do you count them as being paid for and thus taken them as they are now yours?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 9:18 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i used to be a manager of a hotel, and yes your MIL is correct, due to health reasons they are supposed to toss the unused soap/shampoos ect. anything can be tampered with so it is supposed to be thrown out. However, this is not always the case. You always have lazy housekeepers, or managers that want to save money over a guests health... If you are at a highend hotel and you get your things from the front desk, then sure keep them all and grab a few extra :), but if they are left in your room, I would recommend just buying your own travel sizes before you travel, or ask the front desk for new ones (this goes for towels and wash cloths too... but that's a whole different discussion lol)
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 9:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I always take the unused ones and donate them to a shelter or food bank. There are so many people in need of necessities that I do what I can.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes I take them and consider them to be complimentary so I have not thought twice about it
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• i take the unopened one's and throw out the used stuff b4 i leave
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Sometimes!! LOL (Shhh)
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No, I like my own soaps and shampoos, etc., a lot better, the motel ones are crap.. jmo.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 10:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I depends on where I'm staying. If it's a high end hotel, I use them and take what's left with me. If it's a low-end, I don't use them, I use my own.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:24 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I take all the unused and used stuff on the sink like the lotion and shampoo and such
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If they aren't opened there shouldn't be any cross cotamination. I just use it while i'm there if needed.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:24 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I only take the lotion. I think hotels have the best lotion. I also think its a gift if you get the room.
    mueller_amanda

Answer by mueller_amanda at 9:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2010