Watch Your Card Numbers!!

I just received a call from somebody claiming to be from American Express fraud. Amex has called me before about "suspicious purchases" because it's the card I use online, they are known for that. Anyway, he asked me for my card number and I told him he should have it - he told me to call the number on the back of my card and hung up. I did - and there was nothing suspicious, the call was bogus.

Has this happened to any of you recently? The lady at AMEX said that she'd received quite a few calls in the last week. She also said that an incoming call from AMEX would never ask for the actual account number, only ask for verification of limited info.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 9:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Shopping

• I love my Amex!
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:35 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Nope hasn't happened through a phone call. Some were trying to scam me through email of some items I was selling on craigslist.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Tis the season! Easier for scammers to get info because shoppers are more harried and stressed and not paying as much attention as they should be! Too bad more people don't think about stuff like that - so many people would have given that number to the person on the phone and gotten charges for stuff they never bought and just not caught it in time. Good for you for thinking on your feet! This is just another reason I'm glad we don't have credit cards - a lot less to worry about! Merry Christmas!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I had identity theft about 8 years ago right around this time. It was horrible. Back then the cops did not even know what to do. I was the first person in my town to have it. It happened at a eye lab sending out my contacts getting my ss. So be careful ladies.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I got a phising e-mail the other day about my Chase account. It went into my spam folder and was marked bulk. I don't have a Chase account.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Thanks for the heads up Scuba -
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Me too, Shouldhaveleft! I always feel confident using it, their fraud control is great - which is probably why people are running a scam about fraud control with them, we are used to the occasional calls! :)
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Tis the season to be a rip-off artist, huh Sweetpea? I'm glad you didn't get taken.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2010