Getting a Passport...

How much does it cost and what do I need to do to get one? Also how long does it take to get it? We are planning a honeymoon in February.

janessa27

Asked by janessa27 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Travel

• Get your application in now (the link above tells you where to go), and make sure that you make your travel reservations in your maiden name! You may want to opt for the "expedited" process, it's taking up to 10 weeks for passports right now. It's more expensive, but you can be assured you will have it in time.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• it can take up to 12 weeks unless you expidite it, which will cost more. i think i paid around $60 for mine (it has been a few years!), plus i had to pay for the pictures. i applied for and got mine through the court house, but you can also do it at the post office and a number of other places. you may have to go elsewhere for the pictures, you will need special pictures which cost more than traditional pics - cost me $20 for the pictures. so around $80 total. my sister got hers a couple of years ago, had to expidite it, paid more (she would not tell me how much, just that it was more than i did) pluse she had to drive to her state capital to pick it up and prove who she was, etc - basically show all her forms of ID plus some, same stuff she'd had to put with her application in the first place.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 9:46 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You need to hurry! Make sure you have a copy of your birth certificate. You need a passport photo, which you can get cheap at Walgreens. It cost me about 100 dollars 3 years ago.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My daughter got hers in about 4 weeks, but it cost $120 plus the photo - which was about $7 at Wallgreens. I wouldn't wait much longer. Make sure you have your birth certificate, photo ID and a check or money order. I believe the Post Office will take debit and credit cards. Good Luck!
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 10:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I got mine years ago via the Post Office as well. I can't remember the cost but it takes a few weeks to get it, so the sooner you get it in the better!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 4:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I heard Walgreen's is cheaper than the post office, it may be about $100.00 or so
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 12:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Get it started today. You can get a passport photo at Walgreens for $7.99. All you have to do is go to the right office in town to get the paperwork done. I'm told it takes about four weeks for the paperwork to get processed. It takes about ten minutes or so for the passport photo at Walgreens.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 7:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2010