Is it possible to eat too much fish & can it hurt my lo?

Fish was cooked at home, it was delicioius! Only I hadn't ate all day so I ate around four pieces, took a nap hours later, woke up for 20 mins then went to sleep, & I woke up with my stomach hurting. It hadn't hurt at all before so it made me think maybe the fish was hurting baby too? That probably sounds silly, but I'm the worrying type. lol. (I'm 26 wks pregnant with number two)

How much fish is too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You're not supposed to eat fish due to the mercury in them, while you're pregnant. If you do, 1 serving of fish a week is the limit.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 10:07 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Many pregnant women choose not to eat fish at all, at least partly due to the danger of mercury poisoning. Also, a number of people are allergic to fish. Sounds like you may just have eaten too much period!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:08 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• limit fish due to mercury
    eat only certain kinds - research on internet or ask doc/nurse. nutrionist
    but eating fish in itself will not give stomach ache
    maybe too much or flu
    hope not flu
    space out your eating
    more meals but not too much at once
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:12 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Certain types of fish --tuna, for example, you want to be wary of during pregnancy. Even when you arent pregnant its not such a good idea to have tuna more than once a week because of the mercury. You may have a sensitivity to the fish you ate or an ingredient in any breading/coating you used, or the tummy ache may not be at all related to the fish. Hope you feel better!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:14 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Really? I was told to eat fish by my ob & ladies who work at the wic office. I ate fish with my first son & nothin bad happened...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You shouldn't eat fish very often when pregnant. It is a risk. Doesn't mean anything bad will happen, but you should know that it is a risk that you are taking.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 10:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Check with your doctor. Some fish contains mercury and can be dangerous.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• This is so scary. I cooked trout, croaker, and spots about 2 weeks ago on Friday. I cooked the remainder of the fish on Saturday along with tilapia filets, and shortly after that I had tuna out of the can. I did not know about this. I was told that fish was brain food, but come to find out it could hurt the baby's brain development.
    san126

Answer by san126 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2010