whats your thought on prisons/jails for drug offenders?

I personally believe that people who are put in prison/jails for drug use problems should be put into rehab clinics that they are sentenced to do there time there..all these people are learning in prisons/jails is how to make more drugs and how to get a different high off something else..granted the prisons and jails have some type of drug rehabs there they just aren't getting the help they should i think

non violent offenders is manily what im talking about ...drug users...people who have a problem that prison's jails cannot cure they need help..not locked up and thrown away...

gracelessstar21

Asked by gracelessstar21 at 10:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This really hits close to home because I have been there. I think that a person has to want to get clean and ask for a substance abuse program in prison, because they did break they law, and they may have a problem and need help. If a person has no other desire than drugs in their life and wants to keep using why on earth should they be put into a rehab program? I don't believe that someone smoking pot deserves more of a chance at rehab or probation than a person smoking heroin does. We need to look beyond the drug abuse, addictions come in all shapes and sizes, the true answer to the problem is the reason for the addiction/desire to numb oneself not the abuse that people put themselves in order to stop their feelings and cut their lives short.
    didra

Answer by didra at 4:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have a problem with the mandatory sentencing for drug offenders. Too many child molesters and rapists have been released early due to prison overcrowding because of this. A guy caught selling drugs should be let out of prison before a guy who was caught raping a 3 year old.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree to an extent. I don't think non-violent offenders should be housed with violent criminals.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• different prisons for different offenses
    not a bad idea

i still think prison, but rehab in there
    sex offenders in another one
    etc
    maybe, just maybe could be a bit more rehabiliation instead of just housing
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Drug addiction has to be viewed as the disease it is. It is a disease that these people would prefer not to have. If the money we spend on law enforcement for drugs was spent on prevention and treatment we would be far better off.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think it is as bad as the prohibition against alcohol.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Consequences should be based on the crime. A MJ possession charge should receive a different sentence than a big time dealer.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I totally agree with Anon...
    Drug offenders should be sent to rehab, not jailed IMO, especially if it is MJ....
    I think rapiest and molesters should have stiffer penalties
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I do not support the drug war at all and agree that addiction is a medical issue, not a criminal one.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 4:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I am sry..maybe i phrased that wrong..Violent offenders should be housed with others...but i am mainly talking about just drug users ect..non violent offenders....those are the ones who should be in a rehab for their sentence....i hope i said that right...i think you guys get it thow....lol
    gracelessstar21

Comment by gracelessstar21 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Nov. 29, 2010