What are your thoughts about co-op sleeping?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think the mother should start to begin with. jmo though.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It's a bad habit that is extremely hard to break.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:43 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think you should do what works for your family. Some people would love co sleeping and would sleep better with their small child with them, other people would go insane and be kicked all night and lose intimate time with hubby. Really depends on the family.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:43 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It depends on your definition of co-sleeping. In general, it means that the baby is in close proximity to mom. That means that they can be in a bassinet next to mom's bed.

That is what we did until she outgrew the bassinet. I was never comfortable with having her in the bed with me. Too many things could go wrong. They also make the co-sleep cribs that sit at bed level so it's easier to move baby next to you to nurse and then back to their own space.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• you mean Co-Sleeping?
    I did it from 0-3 months, and then baby was ready to sleep in his own crib.
    "they" say to NOT do it because a deep sleeping parent could crush baby, but I was completely aware and 'light' sleeping when I had baby next to me nursing through the night. I mean- as a mother, having the milk sensation, and baby waking every 2 hours, you really aren't going to fall into a DEEP sleep unless you're intoxicated or have no bond with baby...
    Carrie131

Answer by Carrie131 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I know families who do it and love it. It works for them. I also have a good friend whose hubby worked nights and she allowed their daughter to sleep in her bed with her. 8 years later DD is still in the bed, DH is now on days, and that bed is not only crowded...but it made it quite hard for them to make DS! lol

I adore my kids and watching them sleep or cuddling with them was/is awesome. Kids climb into our bed sometimes on weekend mornings or occasionally at night for a tv program (more often happens in the family room), but my bed is for hubby and me.

DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 10:50 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I did it with my son and my daughter for the first 3 months. They both had the travel co sleeper bed with the padding around it. Made the first couple of months much easier on me as far as breast feeding and night time changes
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We co-slept with our first. It worked for us. It was not hard to break her of it at all. She needed the extra snuggle and we gave it to her. My younger two were very independent from the beginning and rarely slept with us. They are all independent confident sleepers now. I always say whatever works for each family, it is none of my business what someone else does.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I did it with both of my kids and I plan on doing it until they want to go to their own beds.... I cant stand the thought of them not sleeping in there with me....

It works for our family and my husband and I are still able to have plenty of "our time" we just dont do it in that bed..
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 11:02 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If your looking just for an opioion on the subject, I don't think it's a good idea to go down that path. Most of the times, you can't break your son or daughter of doing it which causes bigger confusion in the long run.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:02 AM on Nov. 29, 2010