Should WikiLeaks be classed as a terrorist group?

Congressman Peter King thinks so..

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 11:02 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Have you not read the documents NightPhoenix? Countless After Action Reports were included. Future plans no, but those AARs can give a major strategic advantage to the insurgents in Iraq or Afghanistan as they spell out the interworkings of military patrols and operations on every level. So yes, they have released information that's harmful to our soldiers. I researched the documents to see exactly what sort of danger the released posed to the military as my husband is a career active duty soldier, what does that make me? A concerned wife.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 2:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Hmmm. I think that is bit too extreme. In fact, the problem that I have (and I'm not necessarily a supporter of wikileaks, I haven't formed my opinion of them yet), is that whenever the gov decides someone is doing something it doesn't like, they threaten with labeling them terrorists. When they do that, under the Patriot Act, these people get stripped of their rights. Our founding fathers instituted the Constitution partly because the King of England would falsely accuse and falsely imprison people just because he didn't like them, or because they spoke out against them. The accused have rights. We already have laws in place for dealing with this sort of thing, the problem is that the gov doesn't want to respect their right to a fair trial, due process, etc. Whenever the gov says they are classifying someone or group as a "terrorist," it makes me think that they are more interested in protecting themselves than the people.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The owner is an Australian native therefore has no American rights, and the leak also has no constitutional rights because he forfeited those when he signed his military contract!

And why shouldn't the government want to protect our diplomats and military personnel from these people? Lives are now in alot more danger then they already were because of the documents this group has put out there.

BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 11:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Nope, he's a hero

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

This is the reason why I am on the fence about Wikileaks. I believe that our government has become destructive, and I believe that leaking documents might be the only way for the people to actually wake up.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Please pray tell why this information is important to you? How has this new knowledge impacted your daily life. Because I can tell you how it's impacted the thousands of soldiers it's now put in danger and their families, and now with this new information diplomants and average American citizens are now in more danger since this could very well destroy fragile treaties. But yeah buddy let me tell you what a hero!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 1:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Why should they be? If they are terrorists, then so is every other agency/company who reports things people should know about. If the U.S. has nothing to hide, then what's the problem? Looks like they just didn't want people to know they talk about others behind their backs. Wikileaks is not releasing info on military plans, nor do I think they ever would. Leave them alone. I'm sure not one person against them can say they haven't looked at the leaked documents. So what does that make you?
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• So who's going to take the trip to Amsterdam or where ever this guy is now and present him with a copy of this? You figure he ever plans on coming here after all this? My best guess would be probably not and if he's not in America he can't be tried in America and doesn't need anyone pleading the fifth for him! That was my entire point to begin with! Ya'll act like them labeling this guy a terrorist is going to end his world or whatever. If our government was going to do something about actually trying to stop him they would've done so already! This is all just a bunch of smoke and mirrors to try and cover their own rear ends nothing's going to come of it, but I guess because I rained on the 'he's a hero' parade that makes me wrong. Well ya'll go ahead and sing his praises, I'm too busy worrying whether or not my husband's going to make it back from his next patrol due to the amount of intel this guy handed out. Good day ladies
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 4:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• tnmomofive

Comment by tnmomofive (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We already have laws in place for dealing with this sort of thing, the problem is that the gov doesn't want to respect their right to a fair trial, due process, etc. Whenever the gov says they are classifying someone or group as a "terrorist," it makes me think that they are more interested in protecting themselves than the people.

Answer by Gal51 a minute ago

------------------------------------------
    Great post! You are very right.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The owner is an Australian native therefore has no American rights

Do you think the Constitution GIVES us rights? No. It doesn't. If it did, then how exactly did the founders have the authority to even right it? They were CLAIMING their rights. The Constitution only states what is already true ... that each individual (whether American or not) has rights! You don't suddenly have these rights upon passing a citizenship exam - they are INHERENT in the individual. Yes, even this Australian has rights, and has a country that is supposed to be a beacon for protecting the rights of the individual, America aught to honor that. Now, I'm not saying that he shouldn't be prosecuted. But the point is that we ALREADY have laws in place to deal with this ... we aught to use them instead of throwing temper tantrum and naming him a terrorist.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 29, 2010