Was this anxiety?

Last night, I was feeling very anxious. I was trying to clean my house in record timing and got the majority of it done in less than an hour.

When I finally sat down, after about ten minutes, my heart started skipping beats. It's happened before (last winter) when I was having panic attacks.. but usually it stops. This time, it scared me. I stood up and felt like my head was going to explode (a head "rush?"). There was some pressure. But just as soon as the feeling came, it left. (I don't know if this is related, but I burped A LOT after this!?!)

I don't have insurance and was recently let go from my job, so going to the doctor is unfortunately my last resort...

I'm not looking for health advice, just wondering if anyone has ever felt anything like this before?

Thanks..

mommommamommyyy

Asked by mommommamommyyy at 11:07 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Health

• Yes, it sounds like anxiety. Anxiety can cause a whole range of symptoms. It can affect your blood pressure, which is what it sounds like happened in your case. The first thing you need to do is to cut back on caffeine, alcohol, nicotine. Drinking plenty of water will also help. When you start to feel that way, excuse yourself from everyone around you and go to a restroom. Pat your face with some cool water and and sit down. Breath in through your nose and out your mouth. Getting plenty of exercise will also help you learn to control your own anxieties.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:12 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think if it happens once in a while it is normal,but if it happens all the time.Try to get rid of some strss in your life.
    froggiemac

Answer by froggiemac at 11:30 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have really bad anxiety and get bad panic attacks... I used to use alcohol to control it which was really bad so I quit drinking and am learning to breath through it... In through the nose, out through the mouth, and you just have to talk yourself out of it... they are very scary though but you will be ok! My symptoms usually are:

*Body goes numb/tingling
    *rapid heartbeat
    *feel chest/back pain
    *increased breath
    *headrush type thing
    *racing thoughts
    I just have to calm myself, only you can controll them... I tried meds but they made me violent and they are expensive and I too don't have insurance
    GL!!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I am trying not to worry as I'm sure it's anxiety. I have had panic attacks off and on since I had my daughter prematurely almost five years ago. I went through the whole summer without anything serious, certainly nothing like this... but I do remember experiencing something similar last winter, like I said. I really appreciate all the responses.

I have been pretty good at controlling them on my own... last night though, I had no idea it was coming! (Well, maybe I did but I was trying to ignore it!) I've never been on medication but I have considered (once I get insurance) going to a doctor and seeing if they think anti-anxiety meds would be helpful. I would much rather find a natural alternative..so if anyone has any suggestions, I am very much open to them!! :-)

Thanks again!!
    mommommamommyyy

Comment by mommommamommyyy (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I'm not sure, but best of luck!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes and it is so scarey! When this feeling if ever comes again try putting your head down between your knees. Remind yourself you are safe and this will pass....deep breaths....it will be okay.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 10:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2010