My Kid's A Hypochondriac

I do feel for the boy (he's 9), he's growing like a weed and so he's got achy bones and he's tired all the time. BUT, in addition to this very legitimate issue, every single day the kid complains about some imagined deadly problem. He found a small reddish patch on his stomach this morning: "Mom! Is this melanoma? I think it's melanoma, it's going to metastasize to my brain!"  His lips are chappy because of the changing weather: "MOM!  My face is flaking off!  My lips are going to vanish and I'll have a snake face!"  He had a mosquito bite: "Is this MRSA?  I really think it's MRSA, Mom, either that or it's a brown recluse bite, I need to go to the ER before my leg falls off!"  I banned him from reading my nursing textbooks because he was having nightmares about having gotten Creutzfeldt-Jakob from eating deer sausage.  I no longer allow him to watch Discovery Health Channel after he came to me wailing about how he was absolutely positive that he'd absorbed his own twin in the womb. 

Anybody else have a hypochondriac kid?  How are you handling it?

Fistandantalus

Asked by Fistandantalus at 11:08 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Lol, no don't have a hypochondriac. Your son sounds like a pretty smart kid though. Maybe this is his way of trying to garner attention and feel special?? Not sure, but anyway, he definitley has a career in the medical field.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No, my son has enough legitimate medical issues that he doesn't need to create more, but sometimes he does go overboard with his complaining & making excuses b/c of his medical issues and I need to pull him back to reality. I think what you have done so far is good, but I would also want to sit him down & talk to him about being healthy & being sick & why does he want to be sick all the time? Is he feeling anxious or ignored, etc.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Wow, lol! He's going to be a doctor or something if he's reading and understanding that kind of stuff at age 9! I'd be inclined to read/watch the stuff along with him and explain it, or even take him to the doctor and let the doctor talk to him about it, see if he can get in any special early programs to fuel his need for knowledge. I woulndn't try to change him, but help him - you can also explain hypochondrism to him so he understands why he is one ;). Sounds fun in a way, to me! I'll trade you my 9yo!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I'm sorry, this is just pretty funny. Maybe ask him what he thinks is going to happen when he says that stuff? Maybe turn it into something funny? "Mom, this looks like a brown recluse bite?" "It looks like an alien kiss." Or some weird thing that boys that age would relate to. I know mine would probably growl and try not to laugh after me saying something weird like that but then start coming up with his own weird ideas of what it could be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Aw, I can relate to your son. I suffered from hypochondria for three years after my daughter was born. Do you remember when the worries started? Usually it's something traumatic (which can be anything at a young age...even as simple as a really bad flu!) I agree with mom2aspclboy... you may need to sit down with him and try to find the root of the problem. Good luck!!
    mommommamommyyy

Answer by mommommamommyyy at 12:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have a " Worrier" I feel like its just in his nature. He is the same age as your son , and is very cautious, and worries easily. He too comes to me with every bump , bug bite . He also loves to watch discovery health and the history channel ( so he worries about world events and possible catastrophe) I talk to my son a lot about his worries , and try to ease his fears. I'm just glad he comes to me with them, so i can explain things in a logical way. The world is a scary place for a young mind...especially when they are thinkers. Death , disease and physical trauma are scary also. There are a lot of things in life that are out of our control, and under most circumstances we work these things out as we grow and mature. Some kids start doing this early , except their brains are not fully developed yet and reasoning skills are difficult to master for such a young brain.

sulkygirl79

Answer by sulkygirl79 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2010