My son is getting tubes in his ears on Thursday....

The doctor didnt really tell me what to expect... he went over all the risks and told me it is about 5 minutes per ear. I am getting more and more nervous as the day comes... My son is 6 years old and has never had to have any surgery. I have heard both good and bad stories from people... any advice?

mrsmamaj

Asked by mrsmamaj at 11:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My daughter who is 7 now has had them twice. We went into a pre op area had them get in their robe and then the anesthesiologist came and introduced themselves, asked the usual questions allergies, sicknesses, bad reactions, they usually tell you what they do to get them ready. Then the nurses come by check on info again, then her actual doctor came over checked on her doubled up on checking info and re told us about how quickly things go and then after they came out & briefed us on how everything went & then usually tell you they will let you know when they are awake enough to see ya.
    Now just an FYI a lot of times when its tubes they do many at a time you might be around many people who are all having this procedure done. it helped my daughter see that other kids at all ages are having it done & it made her feel okay bout it.
    also sometimes kids cry when they are waking up from the anesthesia.. they are not in pain!
    JesF419

Answer by JesF419 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I had them when I was 12. I probably should have had them again because I still get ear infections and my 4 year old son will probably need them. Your son is getting them at a good age. I'd be nervous too though.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:18 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Also you might feel like you are helpless when they are waking up, don't worry kids are resilient and him just knowing you are there will help. Any others question feel free to msg me :)
    JesF419

Answer by JesF419 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My son had them when he was 15 months old and then had them removed when he was 5 (you can't leave them in too long or else you risk the ear drum growing into the tube -- which is really bad). My son got another set of tubes about 3 months after we removed the other set because he was still having ear infections. The surgery is really quick and there is not much discomfort at all. When we got to the surgery center, the surgeon and the anesthesiologist spoke to both my husband and I, and they spoke to my son at his level. The anesthesiologist told him that he was going to breathe air from a space-mask and go to sleep. He brought a mask out to show my son before hand. After the surgery, you use ear drops for a week or so.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It's an easy and quick procedure, your son shouldn't have any bad discomfort afterwards. Sometimes they get nauseas after the anesthesia and sometimes their throat is a little sore from the intubation tube, but he should be up and running the day after the procedure
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:59 AM on Nov. 29, 2010