PLease Help!

I have a 4 year old son, and he will be 5 in May. We live in a pretty nice neighborhood, and he wants to be able to play outside all the time. I am nervous about that because I cannot watch him 24/7 because I alos have a 1 year old daughter. With all the things that can happen to kids these days(kidnappings,getting lost,etc.) it makes me nervous at the thought of letting him play outside alone for a little while. So, when is your child old enough to play outside alone without constant supervision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My boys are at the point now, age 4 and 5, where I can let them be outside in the backyard for a couple minutes while I run inside to use the bathroom or get the phone. I would NEVER leave them unattanded for more than a few minutes at a time. I don't live in a fantastic neighborhood. We will have a fence next spring and then I might be ok to let them be outside for 10 minutes at a time. They know to stay inside the yard and know what to do if a stranger approaches them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I would not let your son play outside by himself until you are comfortable with the idea, then I would let him play where you can see him play the whole time he is outside. I babysit two 4 yr old one 1 yr old and a 3 month old plus i have a daughter of my own who is 6. I take all them outside to play. If you have a swing or portable playpen take them outside for your daughter to sit in while you and your son play a few feet away. If you daughter fusses to get out and join you then let her cause all the running you have to do to teach where it is safe to play is extra exercise for the day. I would also get online and find some out door games that both of your kids can play so they can learn how ro share their toys better.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 7:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I live in a very small town, and have a privacy fence around my backyard. I allow my DD's who are 6 and 4 to play outside by themselves while I stay inside with my 16 mo old DS. I keep the windows and french doors open on that side of the house so I can hear them. Between the fence and the dog, I am not worried about anything.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 8:37 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• The first thing that came to mind when I read this question was a woman who was on Oprah years and years ago. She had a four year old son and she allowed him to play in the back yard because she had a fenced in yard and a dog. She ran in for a few minutes and when she came back out he was gone. She looked and called...nothng. She called the police, they came with a dog to sniff for him...the dog went to right where the boy had been playing and then over the fence. There he lost the scent in the exhuast fumes of the street. He was never found. I don't care where you live or how quiet or nice the town or country is around you..in this day and age IMO it is never a good idea to turn your back on your child...it only takes once!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:01 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• NEVER I THINK THAT IS NEVER SAFE..FIND SOMETHING FO R YOUR DAUGHTER TO DO OUTSIDE....
    momma75_75

Answer by momma75_75 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2008