Are you a helicopter parent?

Do you always keep your children in sight, direct their play on the playground, monitor everything that they do in an attempt to "protect them"?

Why do you believe that this is the best thing you can do for your child?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Because there our predators out there.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:25 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yeah I pretty much am. My older son is almost 7 and I have been getting better with him. But not the younger one... family says he is my bubble boy. I just don't want them hurt, I'm just that kind of mom.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Exactly for what tootoobusy said. Yes, i believe I am a bit of a helicopter parent. Whhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrr....lol!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I always keep them in sight but I also believe that they must experience some things on their own so I don't direct their play too much unless I know it will lead to getting hurt seriously.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No, I am not. I think I am pretty reasonable and allow my kids to take calculated risks in their lives. It has worked out well for them. At 11 and 15 they are well adjusted and understand that there are consequences good and bad for just about everything. I do not believe in removing every obstacle from your childs path. I believe that life is sometimes the best teacher of all. Am I totally reckless with my boys-no way. Am I one of those parents that others call "lazy"-probably... they have fallen down a lot, they have climbed too high, run too fast, eaten too much, sleep too little and on and on.. all with common sense. They can stand up to a bully without me, they can make decisions and suffer the consequences when they are bad ones, they are on their way to adulthood!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:36 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• They are always in eyesight if we are out of the house. It is just safer for them and anyone in the store, park, or where ever that they be under control and behaved. At home they can go off and play with out me watching our house is pretty kid safe. Only thing is I know I will end up cleaning a huge mess if they are left to play by themselves for to long.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I keep an eye on my son that is not being a helicopter parent at all just called parenting. I don't direct his play or hover over him. If he gets in trouble at school he faces consequences.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If that's helicopter parenting than I'm guilty. Ther are all kinds of reasons for my parenting. Predators are one, bullying from other kids/parents is another, and still another reason is because I have 3 with ASD and social situations are hard for them sometimes. Because of my "helicopter" parenting they have improved greatly. However, I do and have backed off when I see that my children are capable of making good choices and I can trust their judgement in situations. I think that's basically what it's all about-being able to know that your child is capable of making good choices/correct judgement of a situation. We have all experienced that kid on the playground without an adult being a holy terror. You can be a helicopter parent without being a true helicopter parent-if you know what I mean?
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• call me a Helicopter mom aka a great responsible mom :) I rather be that than a mom who just doesnt care what her kids do....
    Proud mom of 2 girls :)
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No, not really. I've tried very hard NOT to be. Especially with my son who was born with cancer and was left mostly blind because of it. He had to learn independance and couldn't do that with me hovering over him. On that note, he's 17 now and it's KILLING me that he wants to go out of state for college. When that time comes, I will probably be in fetal position on my kitchen floor crying for my baby lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:54 AM on Nov. 29, 2010