Obama Plans Pay Freeze For Federal Workers - opinions?

Saying "we need to turn our attention to addressing the massive deficits we inherited and the unsustainable fiscal course that we are on," the Obama administration is this morning formally announcing a two-year pay freeze for all civilian federal employees.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/11/29/131667056/obama-plans-pay-freeze-for-federal-workers?ft=1&f=1001

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's about time. It's not like everyone else is rolling in money. What I want to see is a pay cut for all of the big politicians but that will happen when hell freezes over.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:27 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree with him.

Somewhere in Hell, it's snowing right now. I hope Congress and the President himself are not excluded.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Step in the right direction. Now they need to make all those Federal employees who have not paid taxes in years to pay them. I think the President and Congress should take a 25 percent pay cut and have to reduce their non essential staff. Also they should not be allowed their pay or benefits once they leave office. Once the Government starts tightening their belts then they can ask the taxpayers who already pay more than their fair share to tighten theirs. These tax cuts expire we will pay an additional 100k next year in taxes. I can afford to pay that will make cuts from charitable contributions since basically the extra 100k is charity for the Gov at this point. I just want to know if we have to give up more of our hard earned money others in Government are making cuts as well.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• "I hope Congress and the President himself are not excluded.

You know they are. "

I personally think that if a pay freeze is declared, the President and Congress ought to take the first steps and freeze their OWN pay as well!

BTW, sweet-a-kins, one of my husband's biggest complaints is about the people who go to work and do *nothing*, and how it's next to impossible to get fired as a federal employee. If the feds could get rid of all of the "do-nothing" employees, I wonder how much money THAT would save?!
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 12:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think Government servants aught to take a pay cut and then freeze their salaries indeffinitely until we are out of debt and the government is back under the control of the people
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• All kinds of people are facing this. Social Security the elderly recieves has not gone up in two years. It's hard to feel sorry for just one segment when it's happening all over the place.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Scout_mom, congress determines the pay of the Presidentn and high ranking government officials. I guess we'll have to talk to them about that.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think he should get rid of many already in place and do a hiring freeze.

That'll make me happy.

I heard that about a third of gov. workers are unionized.

The "employer" they stick up is the taxpayer, not some private company!

He would love to see them ALL unionized, to ensure an eternal Democratic vote from them!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I believe if he would cut more out from his budget less of this would have to be done. Everytime you turn around he is taking a vacation. WTH!!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My husband is a federal employee, and we're not exactly rolling in the dough. And there are people at a lower pay grade than my husband. This won't be good news for them.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 11:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2010