Is this a fair request ?

I babysit as a job ... right now I only do it twice a week ( from afternoon until night ) ... I used to babysit them everyday but it just became too stressful and I stopped watching them for awhile.... but they asked if i wanted to watch them again a couple months ago and this time it was only the 2 days because their work schedule changed ( I watch them when their mom works over and the dad works 2nd shift)...

Well they are changing shifts and I heard from his mom ( I talk to her alot ) that they are going to ask me to start watching them everyday again but from morning to afternoon ( like before) ..... I think I am up for it now because they are older... but I want to ask if I can just do it 4 days a week - and I can use that extra day to make dr. appts and everything on that day - and I would also never have to take extra days off since I can schedule stuff for that day....

His mom said I wouldnt be able to do that since they wont have another sitter ( she is the one who watches them now if i could - like for the last 2 weeks because I had surgery) ... but since she wont beable to if it is 1st shift...

But shouldnt it be their responsibility to find a back-up sitter anyways ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yes
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:25 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I don't know, if it were me, I'd want the same sitter all week. I would have a back-up, but I woudln't intentionally split my kids between two places every week.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 11:27 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes, I agree, it is their responsibility to find a back up sitter only if you agree up front on those days that you will not be available. Of course you risk losing the job entirely if they choose to go with a sitter who can cover all the days they are requesting.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:27 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't want the stress of finding a one day sitter every week. I would get someone that could do it the hours I needed to begin with.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes you can ask and yes it is their responsibility to make childcare arrangements for their children. If they don't like your offer, they can always say no & make other arrangements.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If it were my kids I would rather find a sitter who can do it all the time instead of the hassle of two. They should have a back up, but I would probably just find a new sitter.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It is your job to make sure what you do fits into your family's needs and it is their job to find a sitter that meets their needs. I would not hire you because it is to hard to find a sitter willing to give up an open spot let alone 2 spots for kids that will only be there for one day a week. I would not be mad at you, but I would tell you that the situation is just not going to work for what we need.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If I were looking for a sitter I would want someone who is available the days/times I need them and I would want them to commit to watching my children from X to X o'clock on X days. I would not want to find a 2nd sitter and have to shuffle my kids to 2 different places during the week, I would want 1 steady sitter. I would find a backup sitter in case of illness or if the sitter could not watch my kids on a certain day-- but I would want enough notice ahead of time and not be told last minute.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:32 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If you only want to watch the kids 4 days a week than tell the parents that. If they are fine with it -great! If not, then they can tell you no and find someone else. You need to not worry about what they want but what will work for YOU and YOUR FAMILY. Even though you are friends-this is business and if you don't keep it that way then friends can (and do!) take advantage of that fact. Then things just get messy and end badly.
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• dazzled they already have 2 sitters though..and it would jsut be one day going to the other sitter and then with me the rest of the week... we have alot of dr appts to go to , and so it is always different days and this way it would be more scheduled ... the only time I would have to take a different day off would be in an emergency...

spottedpony... I doubt they would that is why they came back to me because i charge alot less....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Nov. 29, 2010