Leapster vs. Nintendo DS

My DD turned four in September, and we want to get her a Leapster or DS for Christmas, which one would you recommend and why?

I'm leaning towards the Leapster because I know that my DS liked it at that age AND there games are more educational and geared toward her age group.

My DH is leaning towards the DS because she is quick with gaming systems, (Wii and GameCube) and he does not want to keep buying a new gaming system every few years.

PurplWildFlower

Asked by PurplWildFlower at 11:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The leapster is more educational at this point that is whats best for her age group. My son is 5 and I would never consider getting him a non learning gaming system until he is9 or 10. My ex always used the PS as a babysitter and too many parents now a days do too. i mean his daycare has bring your DS to school day so the teachers don't have to do anything!! I know it's all about the parent and maintaining limits and control, but hey you remember being a kid and finding ways to sneak what you want right??!!
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My 4yo loves her Leapster and the games are great for her! I found it more appropriate for her age group too.
    JesF419

Answer by JesF419 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would get the DS...... The DS is a fun present....they have to do enough learning at school. Plus its going to last alot longer than a leapster. They have games that she will enjoy playing at her age, and she is learning problem solving! lol...
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 11:38 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• my son whose 3 1/2 has a leapster and I feel that the leapster games are alot more age appropriate as well as educational
    thelovelymzbre

Answer by thelovelymzbre at 11:38 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We were having the same debate this year. We already have two leapster 2s but they are in rough shape. We went ahead and got the Leapster Explorer because they have so much to offer educationally. The games themselves are educational, and you have the option to customize the learning when they get to school by putting their spelling words into the game, so they can learn them both traditionally and while having fun.

We also have a DS, and IPod Touch and a few different gaming systems, and they play with them all and like them, but I don't think they get much educational benefit from them.

If you are going to go with the Leapster, get the Explorer as the screen is brighter and has more updated functions and accessories than the leapster 2. The best price I have found is at Costco. It comes with the Explorer, The Penguins of Madagascar game, and a two pack of leaplets for $70.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:45 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I wanted to add, that the games are fun too. It isn't like sitting in front of a computer and doing an assignment. I played the diego game for 20 minutes one night.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:47 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Twin Mommy...I saw that exact one at Costco this past week and almost got it until my dh started asking about the DS and I know that the leapster has more educational game options. And she can get the DS in a couple of years!!
    PurplWildFlower

Comment by PurplWildFlower (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• @ LovemyMed...Im a SAHM and if she was going to school I would probably opt for the DS, but since her learning is rather unstructered fun stuff works best StarFall Camp!
    PurplWildFlower

Comment by PurplWildFlower (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• when my dd turned 5 i got her a leapster but now wished i would have gotten the ds. she never plays the leapster.
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 1:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My girls are both getting leapster explorers for Christmas...they seem very age appropriate and not only are they learning w/ them but they are fun too
    reagabismom

Answer by reagabismom at 3:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010