take no thought for what is sold at the shambles, it is fit to eat, and take it with thanksgiving. Does anyone feel sad that animals are slaughtered? adult content

I was watching a PETA video on animal cruelty, and of course it shows graphic and stunning stuff. I am shocked and of course it's just money being made, but does anyone know of any laws that have passed recently that have made things shift more towards humane types of quick slaughtering, or even more comfortable surroundings at least on the trips to the slaughterhouses?
I seriously want to become a vegetarian, and won't flinch in making the change just eating veggies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• *sighs.

You need to do some research about PETA and how ethical they aren't before you listen to anything they have to say. Also, a good option is to source your meat locally, from a reputable, caring farmer. I'm lucky, around here we have a bunch
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:32 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It has been scientifically proven that plants scream in pain, and continue to feel pain for hours after being cut. And then you have to consider the hundreds of animals that are accidentally killed while the plants are being harvested. ....

Yes, a lot of slaughter houses are not humane in how they do it but there are laws being passed that are putting a stop to most of them.
    Yes, I have seen videos and have an understanding of what is going on and I still eat meat. -shrugs-
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:34 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Sorry to burst your bubble, but PETA has more blood on its hands than most of the slaughterhouses. Better to hitch your wagon to the ASPCA for humane practices, than PETA.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:35 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Sold at the ..."shambles" ? I have no idea what tha means.
    I guess this all depends on how much you love to eat meat. Personally I could be a vegetarian easily. But, I would need dairy products.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• 1 corinthinans 10:28
    Like for example how can a person knowingly (now as it is available) get okay with knowing eating something that has been literally made with some people that are knowingly doing disrespectable things in the open slaughterhouses and thinking it's O.K. to do this, if nobody is speaking out, I don't know when PETA put these out, or if these occur often, but to let a pig just drop into boiling water to kill it alive, is just WRONG. Not one bit of this is O.K.
    Killing in the bible is allowed for food, meat, and not to just inflict injury or boil alive animals that have no choices to make.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I'm sorry, but PETA is about as ethical as Mel Gibson. They put out A LOT of propaganda and little fact. Aside from that, yes there are some places that are cruel to the animals but its not something we deal with. My husband hunts, as does my dad, plus we go to a organic butcher.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Does anyone feel sad that animals are slaughtered?

No. I make a delicious slow-cooked BBQ beef sirloin roast, if anyone wants the recipe.

1 Cor 10:28 is in reference to sacrificial atonement. See Exodus 16:8 and 1 Cor 10:25
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I raise and slaughter my own meat. I can assure you that my animals are completely dead (and don't feel a thing when they die) before I process them.

My animals (including my cats and dogs) eat what God created them to eat. I don't medicate unless one is injured. Mine aren't 'confined' in unnatural surroundings. My pigs, at 150 pounds, aren't even subjected to electric fencing.

It's called being a good steward AND being responsible for my own food. I don't leave it to others because 'they' don't care about anything except profit. I believe they deserve good care/happy lives in exchange for feeding me.

Go veg if you want ~ but first walk through a field right after a harvest. The number of dead and dying might give you pause. Add up how many die due to truck transport, spraying (especially fruit trees), and just lawn chemicals. Your choices DO matter, but what you don't see is still dead so educate yourself.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree with Gail, also you need to know that not everyone here follows you beliefs. And if you do plan on throwing out Bible verses please make sure they are actually for the subject you are defending. As Gail said, that verse you spat out is in references to sacrifices. I'm not a Christian so what verse you did try to supply holds no meaning towards my choice in eating meet and how that meet was provided for me to eat. Back in the day before slaughter houses people would slaughter their pigs for winter, they would take the animal, pin it down, slit it's throat and dangle it upside down to drain it of blood. Killing it by having it bleed out and then would drop it into boiling water and so on. Also, like everyone mentioned Peta is not the saint in animal advocacy and if you're going to follow an organization for animals then you should do more research and find the right group to help support. In the end no matter what
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• slaughter is never an easy thing. There is no "clean" way to kill something. At least you know the animal is being used to sustain other life.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2010