Do you believe that formula should be an option for ALL women, everywhere?

In underdeveloped countries, formula feeding is gaining popularity as the new, posh thing to do. Formula manufacturers advertise it as making a baby healthier, smarter, develop quicker... Because of this, many infants who would otherwise be properly fed suffer the effects of starvation, dysentery (from unclean water), food poisoning (from spoiled milk). Thousands of infants die every year because of formula.

Do you still believe it should be an option for everyone? Why?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I feel in underdeveloped countries it shouldn't be an option unless the woman can NOT breastfeed, and has to use it. But she should also be supplied the water to go with it. Here, it shouldn't be available through WIC or foodstamps unless it's medically necessary (the mother can't breastfeed)..... It's costing our country billions to supply formula just because a woman chooses NOT to breastfeed out of some misinformed decision...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I believe every woman has the choice to feed her baby how she wishes to.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think birth control should be an option for ALL women. It's sad, but these infants would probably die regardless. Women who are starving and unhealthy themselves sometimes can't produce enough breastmilk so the infants end up starving anyway. And they would grow up drinking that filthy water and becoming ill as well.

I think formula should be an option for everyone. You don't know everyone's situation and until you do, you will never understand their choice. Seems like the bigger issue to me would be getting bc to these women or getting these babies out of there, or raising the standard of living in these countries.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• of course it should. choosing formula is a personal choice why should anyone be denied it? the way you say "properly" fed as if formula feeding isn't proper enough. i disagree though with how they're glorifying it because breast OR bottle will not make a difference in the baby's development mentally or physically. they need to teach the women over there how to properly mix and sanitize their bottles and water though, you can't blame that on the formula that's the ignorance of the mother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I believe anyone who can pay for it should have that choice. I do not believe that the prices should go up here, however, to help the formula companies reach a wider demographic.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I don't live in an underdeveloped country so I have no firsthand knowledge of formula being touted as healthier.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My kids all survived,happily , and they are healthy adults. I formula fed. They are healthy adults wth their own families now. PLEASE, get off your "soap box" and stop being so obssessed .
    CHOICE!! That is the rule with evrything. Choice in how we feed our kids, and how we deal with religion or abortion....and allowing for differences in life.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No. It definitly shouldn't be.

I also don't think, without medical exception, the use of formula should be funded by the government here in America.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 11:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• in under developed countries I think they need to eliminate the powder kind and have ready to feed ONLY. it'd solve the water issue and make it less available. babies aren't likely to starve to death... a womans breasts will hurt and leak and it's the fastest way to shush a screaming newborn.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:42 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• my kids were formula fed. my son nursed for a few days, less than a week. it was nice to have formula to fall back on, although I'd have loved to have been given the info/option of buying milk from a milk bank. when I have my 3rd baby if I am unable to nurse again I'll be getting breastmilk from elsewhere. It's ANOTHER good option and although controversial, better than formula IMO
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2010