Taking YOUR lord's name in vain?

How, exactly is it disrespectful to speak a word which has NO meaning to you, what so ever?

How is it possible to take in vain the name of a god which we do not believe in?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:43 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• It's not. Although I get irritated when people disrespect science as crap, and science is my "supreme being."
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:45 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My husband considers himself an athiest..... hardcore in fact. Our son goes to a private Christian school and at functions there my DH humiliates me by refusing to pray, I have to force him to remove his hat, etc.

However he still says God damn it often. I am not sure what meaning it has to him at all...... interesting question. I might actually ask him next time.

I am a generic mutt Christian and I take the lords name in vain out of frusteration occasionally and I often feel quite guilty
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:46 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• i completely agree with you, i just try not to say it around people I KNOW will have a problem with it and flip their lid
    ajj_mami_grace

Answer by ajj_mami_grace at 11:47 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You are saying that you don't believe? You are basically (according to bible scripture) bringing judgment up on your self.
    No one is going to judge you here or in the earth, due to the nature of the belief itself, when we do believe if we are careful to not take the Lord's name in vain, which is the case at moments, in tiredness, or in stress, when we aren't rested properly, we probably take this name as a "vent,"..... but to just use it as an excuse to keep saying it [and not having responsibility for respect, that is then] ....
    in the way of living cleaner and more respectful and responsible.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I was raised that it's the *WORST* thing on the planet you can ever say.... so it still has some shock value to me even at 29 yrs old

My DH was raised uber religious and his Mom writes the sermons at the local church to this day.... it could never be said in her presence, I think she'd have a heart attack. He knows to filter himself and never say it w/ her around
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Religious reasons or not, I think that it shows a little lack of manners and education. We teach our children it is just not a polite thing to do, like cussing.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• In my house, its equal to cursing.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• ObbyDobbie..
    Regardless of whether or not you believe. It is still respectful to OTHERS that do believe not to speak that way about Our Lord God of Heaven and Earth.
    Often though when people do add a cuss word to the Lord's name... there is anger toward God. Plain and Simple.
    My question is this.. if you do not believe then why say His name at all?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• UGH- You wrote Jesus Fucking Christ on another post because you KNEW it was offensive and you WANTED to get a rise out of the others. Stop complaining about it. Would you enjoy someone calling your out of wedlock children bastards or illegitimate just because someone believes that children should always be born to married parents so they feel like its their right to say those things because children born without the benefit of marriage having no meaning to them so its OK to downgrade what you consider sacred?
    Anonymous

• Anon, I've had many, many people say just those things (I live in the bible belt). That in no way affects my relationship with my children, my love for them, or their validity as a human being. :) They're words, opinions, everyone has one.

BTW- I wrote that because it was what I was thinking, I simply couldn't believe what I was reading- Its called a reaction hon, kind of like the one you just had to my question.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2010