Religious discrimination

Have you ever felt discriminated because of your faith or the lack of it anywhere, any time in your life, work, public office, authorities, sociall settings etc?
What happened?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 11:45 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i get it all the time i get screamed at by people at the church by my house, i got told the other day that i was going to be a bad mother when i have kids because i dont believe in anything, i dont do anything to them because i havnt believed in any higher power since i was 8 so hearing it from my family just got me used to it, they tell me i have no morals the only thing i say to them is "meet my christian grandmother then come talk to me about no morals" and they just walk away
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 11:54 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Heh, I wasnt' invited to a bible study more than once, aparently I gave them the WRONG answers to their questions lol. Personally I found it amusing
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Joshua 1:9 {{{God says he's with us anyplace we go....

Have not I commanded you? Be strong and of a good courage; don't be afraid, or be doubtful; because I am your Lord your God and I am with you anyplace you go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• In my life it has been pretty mild. Yes, there was the five-year-old, blonde cherub that walked up to the front desk of the library when I was working and told me--at his mother's urging, of course--that I was bad and was going to hell. But he was smiling brightly and obviously didn't know exactly what he was saying. And I had just explained to mommy the meaning of the wiccan pentacle necklace I was wearing. Not that hard to make the connection really. I have had curiousity about my practice of witchcraft (plus my middle sister's desire to exploit it to win the lottery!), but not that much antagonism. The only real bigotry I have experienced over it has been HERE, as has been the attitude towards my atheism. I look at atheism as something I am. I don't feel the need to explain that position any more than that my eyes are green and I am only 5' 2" tall. Only those who matter, matter. The rest...don't.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I haven't really experienced what I would consider discrimination out the real world. It's only here on CM that I have been personally attacked and made to feel uncomfortable. I have been called every name in the book and been informed that I am "brain washed," an idiot, and a hypocrite by people that know nothing about me except that I put my faith in God.

But although it may be hurtful for awhile, those that are so disrespectful mean nothing in the long run. They can not pull me down or make me ashamed.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 12:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Not so much IRL...mostly just here on CM.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Sure but I let it roll off my back most of the time.

I have seen it inside churches more than outside... not in the church I presently attend but in other churches I have been to.
    Only one teacher downgraded me because of my faith other than that I have been blessed and highly favored. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I was raised in the LDS church but I don't agree with or believe in their teachings and I stopped going years ago. My dad's side of the family treats me like I'm a terrible person. My mom's side of the family accepts me for who I am.
    Joyzap2003

Answer by Joyzap2003 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• being mormon i get told lots of odd things that people try to tell me we do at our churches or temple. as if they would know. i know first hand what goes on in our churches and temple so for them to try to tell me we do these weird is like them trying to change a cat to a dog. you can't tell me! also when we have the christmas pagent we get postestors that say we have and agree with abortions. really is that why we have so many children. our neighbors rarely talk to us and have actually told door salesmen that they have seen us feed the missionaries. only to be speaking with a return missionary. so that is how we found out about it. i know that as a mormon that this constant bashing is only cause they fear us and don't fully understand the vast knowlegde that lies within our church. it all makes sense if only they would try to understand and know it better. we started food storage, now it's normal but it weird before.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Quite a few times. The most recent was when I was told to remove my pentacle necklace because it was "offensive" and "against policy" while the Jewish & Christian workers in the same dept. were permitted to wear their religious jewelry...

There have been others, but I'm out of time, so I'll be back later...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2010