How long should a person drive on a spare tire?

Ok so I feel that it's unsafe to drive on a flat tire, my husband disagrees with me, he thinks that it's not big of a deal, and it's safe to drive around for a week or so on a spare tire. The problem also is that it's suppose to snow about 4-6 inches tomorrow, I feel it's even more unsafe. What do you think?

Sillylins

Asked by Sillylins at 11:47 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• Carlie is right. A donut is not designed to drive on for long periods of time. Typically it is also not intended to reach high speeds. I would get it switched out as soon as possible. I would assume that you would not ask this question if the spare matched the other tires.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Just long enough to get another one in it's place.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If it is a donut tire than not long. but if it is a regular tire then you can drive on it as long as you need as long as it is a good tire.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 11:49 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• they are only made to last 50 miles. so driving longer then that your putting yourself at risk. you have to eventually get a new tire so he should just go do it now. what is he trying to fight you on it cause he feels your nagging about him about it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You also shouldn't go over 45 mph on a spare! The time you drive on it should only be long enough to go get a new tire put on....( what Arenad said)...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:54 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You should only drive on a spare tire LONG enough to either get a new tire or get the other one FIXED, especially if it's one of those Doughnut tires.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:57 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It should be printed on the sidewall of the spare tire how many miles it's good for and at what speeds.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 12:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• i WOULDN'T CHANCE IT. I THINK YOU CAN GO 40 MILES ON A SPARE. GO DRIVE TO SEARS & GET A NEW TIRE, MAMA!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:28 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanks, I figured that the case, but sometimes my husband drives me crazy.
    Sillylins

Comment by Sillylins (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes, it's a doughnut hole I was pretty sure that you shouldn't drive on it long, thanks ladies
    Sillylins

Comment by Sillylins (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2010