Need advice please...

My DH is a good man, husband, and father... he has been really stressed out lately, and I am sure that this is why he is doing this, but I want to help him quit.... He used to smoke a couple of years before we got married, but hadn't done it since... now, he has started smoking, even though that is one of the grossest things to me as far as habits. I am worried about him, and about his health, and it makes me not want to be around him because he stinks and definately not kiss him because he tastes like an ash tray... He knows all this, and that I love him still, but he's struggling to quit again because he is stressed.... any advice? (No kick him to the curb comments please....)

momof2redhedz

Asked by momof2redhedz at 11:58 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• Yeah, tell him if he is going to smoke that ne needs to brush his teeth & wash his hands afterward because it smells aweful. And, if you smell it on him. Tell him. Say "Eww...you smell like a ciggarett butt". This works for my DH, who is a smoker too (booo). I don't hate it as much as you do, both my folks smoked all my life so it's nothing i'm not used to. He has cut down a lot because i constantly tell him how worried i am. I know there is nothing i can do to make him stop completely. I just keep reminding him that i want him around as long as possible. He wants to quit real bad....i really hope he does eventually...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Just give him as much support as you can without making him feel bad if he relapses. Take your cues from him. If he really wants to quit, he will but if you push him, he may go back to smoking.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think you have to just love on him and help him manage the stress. he cant quit for you so there is really nothing you can do. when I quit I used the patch and quitnet.com it tracks your progress and is free. Tells you how much you have saved, how many cigs not smoked... Just try to get the stress level down and help where you can. Hopefully he will quit on his own.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Working out reduces stress and you both can do it together. So he can quit smoking by replacing it with healthy activities.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• He leaves at 6 in the morning to go to his first job, then goes directly from there to job number 2... he doesn't get home till like 9 at night.... and with his second job, he is out walking all day long...
    momof2redhedz

Comment by momof2redhedz (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Help him with the stress, if you can. Perhaps go for walks with him instead of him smoking or have him read a book, keep him busy!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:25 AM on Nov. 30, 2010