Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

So if court doesn't go well...

Then what do I do?

Tomorrow I go to court to ask permission to move out of state. And not to just any state but to a specific location/area only 25 minutes from where I currently reside.

The current visitation will still be upheld (I have never denied him from seeing her even when it's not his time). We will be moving in with SO (getting married next year). SO cannot move to me since he has a home based business.

So, if the judge denies it, then what do I do? Marry a man that I cannot live with...How will that work?

I guess I'm just asking for some prayers or good karma sent my way.


Asked by Jademom07 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Relationships

Level 34 (64,323 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • actually he will not get it back nor will any judge in any manner tell you to return it...btw if he has to pay for day care and not covering insurance the judge might up your CS payments to cover the difference...

    Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 1:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • i think your needless worrying here. it's only 25 min away. i don't see a judge not approving that.

    Answer by melody77 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • Insist on having the opportunity to speak in court to make 100% sure the judge understands you are NOT asking to alter the custody agreement whatsoever

    .... will there be a school change? consider mentioning a superior feature of the school district, neighborhood, crime rate, etc...... something to show you've done your homework and it's all for the positive

    Answer by hibbingmom at 12:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • How does your ex feel? Is he going to vehemently argue your move?

    Answer by Shanna84 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • Sending good karma your way! Good luck

    Answer by elyssek832 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • The Judge won't deny it unless there is a good reason for it and since it won't affect visitation I wouldn't worry.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • Repeal. Plead with the court. Just talk with your ex and both go to court on the same page. If the judge sees that you're both in agreement then he won't have an issue with it.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • I guess it depends on the judge. This happened to me and I won only cuz he never really saw her (HIS choice to hurt a little girl) I think you will win. Do you have a new job there? That would help a lot, too! Best of luck, Mama!

    Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:19 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • My ex doesn't really have a problem with it now. At first, he went all bi-polar (no offense) and got really mean (I remembered why we divorced) and then an hour later he was willing to talk like an adult.

    His only requests are that we move DD back and forth 3x's a week so he gets equal amounts of time with her...I feel that it is selfish on his part to expect her to have stability when going back and forth that many times a week.
    He also wants me to pay him back 1/2 the child support because he will have to pay for daycare, which he should have been helping with all along. Currently, he is not paying what he should be by the state mandate. I am not arguing that since he has been a good dad. BUT, if I am carrying all the insurance on her and providing most of the clothing, I also have sole custody, then he shouldn't get any of it back.

    Comment by Jademom07 (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2010