Is this a Joke? Oakland to Give Illegal Immigrants Debit Cards

Oakland is poised to join a handful of cities in creating a municipal identification card that is touted primarily as a way for illegal immigrants to prove their identity.

But unlike programs in other locales, Oakland’s plan will be the first in the nation to create an alternative banking system for the poor, with the ID doubling as a full-service debit card.

Card holders will be able to load money onto their cards, freeing them from the vulnerability of walking around with cash or relying on costly check-cashing outlets.

“This will probably be the most advanced municipal ID in the country,” said Councilwoman and Mayor-elect Jean Quan, who has driven the effort alongside Councilman Ignacio De La Fuente.

While the debit card function is intended to help illegal immigrants, others see the card’s varied uses as a way to broaden interest. That, they say, will prevent a municipal ID card from being a scarlet letter.

“We want to make sure that it’s not just another way of identifying people who don’t have documentation,” said Councilwoman Nancy Nadel.

www. sfgate. com

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 12:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sickening ...... they should not have rights like that. if they have so much $$$$ laying around, why aren't they hiring a lawyer to keep them here legally.

It bothers me when the illegals become so ballsy like this. why isn't the opportunity being taken to seize and deport them? track the card use and detain them, omg.....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We want to make sure that it’s not just another way of identifying people who don’t have documentation,” said Councilwoman Nancy Nadel.

Oh heaven forbid! LOL..more craziness from that part of the country.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Ummm.... shouldn't they just be deported?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Just crazy. They know they are illegal and still trying to make things easier for them. Kind of like kids having to take Spanish in school now. The way I look at it they came over here. They should have to learn our language, not the other way around.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

Answer by arenad 6 minutes
    ----------------------------------
    When I was in school, we HAD t take a foreign language in order to graduate. Most of us chose Spanish.I had three years. I graduated.
    In EUrope everyone learns English and one or two other languages. ALL of us should be learning Spanish and a few others. Or ,I guess if you are in favor of being isolated and want to ignore the rest of the world, just try to learn your own. :-)
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• This isn't about language kerp. It's about people who are defiantly and illegally demanding that US citizens not only accept them, but foot the bill for their inadequacies on TOP of handing them free schooling (while degrading education for citizens), free medical care (higher costs for citizens), free food (that isn't 'free'), small business loans, tuition breaks in our colleges, and the ability to drive a vehicle without a license or insurance (this one makes me want a fully armed tank!!).

It is taxpayers who will foot the bill for this little perk and that is wrong. Our taxes are supposed to pay for infrastructure and a military ... not be used as a donation for criminals.

Send them back, or put them in prison at hard labor for a few years before sending them back!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• "Kind of like kids having to take Spanish in school now. "

A foreign language has been a requirement for university admission in CA for many years. It was three years of a foreign language back in the late 70s/early 80s, when I went to school... I think it's gone up to four years now. We had a choice of German, French or Spanish. I see that the high school my son will attend offers the same PLUS American Sign Language.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• And this affects you how? It doesn't...

Just another excuse to be a whiny bitch.
    Anonymous

• Is it any surprise that California is in such dire financial straights? This is pathetic, and the fact that the state will end up needing their own bailout should make every taxpayer angry about things like this. It's irresponsible.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Is there anything you do not complain about Savage?
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2010