How do I teach/encourage DD to brush her teeth the right way?

DD just turned 3 in Sept. and she is now refusing help when brushing her teeth. She gets the front ones just fine but how to I get her to do the back ones? What have been some methods that best helped your DD/DS?

simpleesr23

Asked by simpleesr23 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They learn by example. Stand beside her and say "Okay, now the back teeth" and brush right along side her.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• have you tried that mouth wash that turns your teeth blue if they are still dirty then they have to brush all the blue away and rinse again.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 12:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• we have a timer..... I brush my kiddo for 3 minutes and they brush themselves for 3. Sometimes instead of the timer I'll play 2-3 songs real loud and rockin'

insist on taking turns (helping) and offer to let her help w/ yours too if need be
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• She seems a little afraid to get to the molers. She is a lefty and I'm right handed so I'm not sure if it's because I don't know how to teach her how to hold the brush correctly that is the problem.
    simpleesr23

Comment by simpleesr23 (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My son is only 2.. but he has always begged to brush his teeth.. a mixture of having yummy tooth paste (toms of maine silly strawberry) and fun tooth brushes..he brushes them several times a day and I help him at the end of the day before bed. Does your child's preschool teacher/ day care provider have the kids brush several times a day?
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 12:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• She just gets the morning and night brushing done on 4 days out of the since her pre-school doesn't take care of that....but she's in there from 10-4:30. But on the weekends and on Wednesdays (her day off) she gets the brushing 3 times a day.
    simpleesr23

Comment by simpleesr23 (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I tell my son thatI get to brush his teeth first (because I can see the "cavity bugs" and get them) and that he can finish up.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:16 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• let him brush, then I brush. i talk about good brushing habits the whole time.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 9:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2010