Should I be worried if my 2 y.o has diarea for going on 3 weeks now?

My son is 2 and has had nasty pull-ups for 3 weeks now. It did slow down some. now its 20 min after he eats. We tried the brat diet for 1 week and he was starving. he has lost a few lbs, but other then that nothing is slowing him down he doesn't act sick. but it kinda puts a hold on potting training. he pees in the potty fine and tells me when he has to go but he can't controlle the poops. This morning it was very musus I heard that wasn't normal so should i be worried. Yes i'm taking him back to the dr. today at 3 but they don't want to tell you anything over the phone they have to see him first!!! Can anyone give me some advice,or ease my thought of something is wrong with his in sides....???

krissylee2

Asked by krissylee2 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would take him to his doctor and have them refer you to a G.I. doctor. It sounds like he may have some issues with his bowels or colon. I hope he feels better soon, God bless!!
    tinashannon1991

Answer by tinashannon1991 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• poor baby! first- stop worring - I know its hard but he will sense it! two- it is something to be cautious about because he can get very dehydrated and because he is loosing weight. Ask the dr to run some tests if they dont offer to. It sounds like an infection in his bowels that should clear up with antibiotics, could be an allergy, but most of all if there is no blood then he should be fine. good luck and let me know how it goes!!
    Tonesgirl

Answer by Tonesgirl at 12:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Maybe there is something wrong with your water! Ask the Doctor if there has been a problem with the water in your area. Thats sounds wierd if it came on suddenly & hasn't gone away for 3 weeks????? Good Luck.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You should've taken him to the doctor after a few days of him having diahrea. It isn't normal for a child to have it for more then a day or two. That's when it is a clear sign then it is more then just a bug. You really need to take him to the doctor now.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My friends daughter had this problem..turned out that she had a parasite!
    I agree with the above posters..take your son in to see his doctor right away. I
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Please take the baby to the doctor and make sure he stays hydrated.
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 9:02 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanks to everyone for your input/advice. I took My baby to the Dr after the first day of dirty pull-ups once i realized it wasn't a 24 hour bug, the dr., didn't seem to worried placed will on The Brat Diet for 3-5 days, everything was slowing down to going 2 times a DAY but after thanksgiving he started back up on going 20 min after each meal. so I took him back to the dr. and again she didn't seem to worried. she pushed all on his tummy and gave him a perscription for infant ammonium. And said if not better in 3-5 days come back ... I trust the dr. but just for a second opion I called our old pedi. from cooks childrens clinic and they responded they don't second guess other dr's. I was shocked..... But enough said My little William is feeling better, but still has the poos, but only once today!!!
    krissylee2

Comment by krissylee2 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010