• In the Spotlight:

Any one had to have there childs adnoids taken out? How did the child handel it? Do I need to know anything else about this?

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Health

• My daughter had her tonsils and adenoids removed when she was in 2nd grade after having strep throat from October to February. The doctor sat down with me before the surgery and explained what would happen and how she'd be after...her throat would be sore for about a week, she might spit up a little blood (looks worse than it is), and she might be tired for a couple days. I was nerve wracked, pacing, unable to sit still. They said it would be a couple hours, it took almost 4. But then I saw her and she was smiling and everything else just melted away. They asked her if she wanted some jell-o or a popsicle...and she smiled sweetly and asked for a taco!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• It's a surgery just like any other surgery. How old is your child? Are they taking the tonsils out too? Their throats will be very sore for about a week and they might puke up blood. It looks like black stringy worms and it smells horrible. Just give them tylenol or if your child is old enough, motrin works better. It's not that bad.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 3:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My daughter was 4 or 5 when she got hers out,She had a lot of ear infections back then..Thats why they said the wanted to take them out..She use to snore a lot before they took them out now she doesn't snore .

Answer by louise2 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• She is going on 3 (Dec. 25) and yes she also snors a lot, breaths really heavy and seems to not be able to breath at all through her nose! Poor girl!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2008