Blood is thicker than water??

My mom always tells me blood is thicker than water, but I have been homeless because she put me out when she didnt agree with the guy I was dating and his mom took me in, and then I've even recieved help from government agencies when my own family wouldnt help me. Does anyone else see this statement to be sort of a contradiction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• Tell your mother to go to hell. No blood is not thicker then water. My family is so screwed up and I don't care for them and will never do anything for them. They fucked up my life why should I give them the right to call them family. I had friends that have treated me far better then my family ever has. That statement is not correct. Just remember Love is thicker then blood and that only people that matter are the ones that actually care and love you. You dont have to share DNA.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Well..not really. Maybe she did what she did by trying to HELP you learn to be independent and make your own choices. When your living under your parent's roof, no matter what your age, your basically living under their rules.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• BS! Blood is ONLY thicker than water if both parties involved are willing to make it so. If your friends are closer to you or more loving to you or more trusted than family - then that water is thicker... Just because someone is family doesn't mean they are or should be more trusted than someone who isn't.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• She sounds manipulative to me.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have found that blood is only thicker than water when I am trying to clean it off my cast iron skillet...when my husband says something increrdibly stupid. :P. BUT seriously the people in my experience that say that are the first ones to drop the axe on you when you're down but " blood id thicker than water" when they need help.
    elyssek832

Answer by elyssek832 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My 'family' is comprised of ppl I am close to, that I trust, and I *want* in my life.

I have blood relatives that I would never associate with, were were not related. Nor am I willing to subject my children to them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Remind her that "Actions speak louder then words" and only technically blood is thicker then water. But it doesn't mean a thing if you don't act like you give a darn. Just do what you feel you need to do and don't let her mess you up. Keep the ones who love and respect you close and be happy.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Nope Blood is not thicker then water! I have family members who would see me on the street in a heart beat! Your moms loss.
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I'm sorry but I think that statement is BS. The people I'm "blood" related to are horrible people and will leave you on the street if it benefits them. So no, I don't believe that "blood is thicker than water".
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• That's something shitty family members say when they want to leach off of you.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2010