Diet Soda

I drink a decent amount of Diet Coke throughout the day. Even though it doesn't have calories, could that make me gain weight? I do drink water too (though I'm sure not enough to surpass the effects of Diet Coke), but recently I've gained like 6 pounds and I don't think I've changed my eating habits, but I have started drinking more caffeinne in the form of Diet Coke ... I am cutting down starting today and drinking way more water to try to lose this weight, but what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I think even the diet drinks have alot of sugar. I used to work fast food. I would kill me when people would order alot of food with a diet drink.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I don't think that it would cause you to gain weight, but I would look to see if your activity levels have dropped a little. sometimes thats all it takes is less activity, and a few pounds sneak on, also could it be natural body weight/water gain.. pms?

Water is always best, but I too have a hard time drinking it.
    JesF419

Answer by JesF419 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Diet soda doesn't have any calories, though does seem to enable other bad eating habits.
    btcdarius

Answer by btcdarius at 1:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• @arenad that is one of my pet peeves also.
    I just shake my head when someone in front of me looks to weigh 500 pounds, orders half the menu and a diet coke, as if the DIET coke is going to reduce a 10,000 calorie burger to half the calories.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 6:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Maybe try a decaffeinated version of diet coke... although I would have to say, that I don't think the diet coke would have suddenly made for a weight gain of 6lbs. Have you been stressed recently, or maybe your eating habits have changed somewhat?
    PamelaH.

Answer by PamelaH. at 6:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes. Soda is soda. There is no diet that would recommend that you drink it, period.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Try a pregnancy test.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My doctor told me that the substitute they use to sweeten diet soda fools your brain into thinking it is getting sugar and will more often than not cause people to have a salty craving after drinking it. She said it is very easy for someone to gain weight drinking diet soda without noticing it because of this.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:49 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• hahaha works4mom.com - I'm not preggers, though I often try to think that's an excuse :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Diet sodas are abnormally sweet, so can change the way food tastes to you, causing you to choose sweeter foods over healthier options. The caffiene in them can cause you to become dehydrated, which can also cause you to take in extra food calories unknowingly because you're trying to satisfy your body's needs for hydration & the diet soda isn't doing the job.

This article may help you to understand the pitfalls of drinking diet sodas: http://www.americanhealthandbeauty.com/articles/?article=3532
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010