baby boy

I am very nervous about changing diapers.. my son was circumcised.. what should i expect? my friends doctor told them to wipe off the white/yellow on the head but all they told us was to apply a TON of antibiotic ointment to the head. they didnt even tell us to put gauze on the head after the ointment.. what were your instructions?

Ross2010

Asked by Ross2010 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told not to touch it at all until it was healed. I just put TONS of antibiotic ointment on it when I changed his diaper...and I didn't rub it on or anything, I literally just globbed it on there. My son had not a single problem with it and once it was healed up, then I started gently wiping it. And if you notice any discharge or signs of infection, you should call your doc right away.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It depends on the type of procedure. My son had a little plastic ring around his foreskin and after a couple days, it dropped off. My only instructions were to keep it clean, dry and not to submerge it in water.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I didnt touch my sons at all until it was healed. I just put the jelly onto the diaper where it would touch. it was only raw looking for a few days..
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 12:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I put the jelly on his penius, like a ice cone, it's was coded and just put the diaper on. It was very painful for my son, he was sleeping alot, but by about 8 hours of being home, he was really upset, be sure to give him some tyneol every 4 hours as the dr recommends.
    Its not too bad, but it' does look awful. It's bright red, and anytime I put the aintment on he screamed but it's only for a couple of days i believe.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:55 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I just brought my son home from the hospital 2 days ago and he was circumcised as well. Our doctor told us to put the ointment or vaseline on the diaper where the head of his penis touches.
    pinkie8986

Answer by pinkie8986 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Don't worry mama. Millions of babies have been circumcised and they get through. I was also so upset and worried my 'lil boy was suffering. It only lasts a couple, maybe 2 days and it's over. Use gauze in a little circle and change it often. He will be okay and so will you.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 3:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2010