eating before bed

I work 2nd shift ... I come home from work and am quite hungry - so I eat and I eat too much most often. How do you avoid the night time cravings? What can I eat when I get home from work that doesn't send me into a binge?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I eat special k for my night cravings.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• try something where you can combine healthy + filling + something yummy u are actually craving

example an enormous salad is healthy, if prepared right is filling and adding in cheese or your favorite full fat dressing makes it soothing and comforting

also consider non fat frozen yogurt. add nuts for some protein, maybe a banana to make it a split and then some comfort elements like caramel sauce or cool whip
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• my husband gets home from work at 10:30pm which is awful. lots of nights I make us big huge fluffy baked potatoes and we add all sorts of crazy things to them. filling, healthy, comforting, and add in a few naughty things (butter, bacon, etc) to truly feel satisfied
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• This is pretty debable. I know 2 dieticians, they've argued about this before. One says it makes no difference if you eat before bed, the other argues that you should not eat before bed. They are cousins & argue about health & dieting all the time. They both think they know it all. Maybe they're both right. It could depend on each individual i think.

anyhow, thought i'd throw in my 2 cents that the whole subject is still very debatable & has not been proven to be true.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Figure out what fills you up and make that. Whether it's a sandwich and cold veggies, a salad and a piece of baked chicken, etc. Then when you have a craving for a night snack drink something instead of eating. Drinking while eating dinner can help fill you up quicker, which means eating less. As well as drinking releases from the body faster then food.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:11 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• How about popcorn? I worked the evening shift when I was fresh out of nursing school. It was my least favorite shift.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• air popped popcorn is a good idea!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Healthy snacks like finger veggies (carrots, cucumbers), raisins, and nuts are all great things to have on hand, and aren't a bad thing to snack on anytime!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I work a lot of evening shifts and I have the same problem. I try to keep a lot of raw veggies on hand and eat those if I am hungry when I get home. I also do the popcorn thing too. OR I drink a big bottle of water on my way home, which kind of fills me up and the stick a piece of polar ice gum in my mouth just as I pull into the drive so that I am not thinking food when I walk in. I think a lot of me wanting to eat is a habit more than actual hunger.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:46 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• How about eating a complex carb for your last break before the end of the day instead? It will keep you satisfied & full longer so you won't have the desire to eat when you get home.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010