Thanksgiving Fights-grrrr How do I end this friendship without being mean

Long story short. We have been friends for 26 years. We parted for a while but now she is back in my life. She does not have costody of her kids but i have mine. She is a drama queen, drinks alot, steals, and causes mad problems. Yet, she is fun, loving and has actually brought my self and teen daughter in a better relationship, kind, and helpful.

Thanksgiving was the worst. She was getting involved in my conversation with my childrens father, I was telling her to shut up and he was saying they are his kids and know one can tell him what to do with his kids-she began mumbling about what I should do with my teen daughter and being he don't like her he told her to MYB she jumped out of the chair and started screaming and all hell broke loose... Now I am about to say screw both of them, I don't need negativity around me. Meaning-mother and father relationship only no more Thanksgiving.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Holidays

• I would be very embarrassed! Sometimes we have to let our friends go. I had a childhood best-friend of 19 years. And after I had kids we lost contact. Its not because I hated her, or thought I was better. It was because our lives took different paths. That's what it sounds like yours and your friends lives are doing right now. I keep in contact with my friend, occasionally send her a message on facebook, you don't have to erase your friend out of your life. And if you do choose to keep her in your life, let her know what is not appropriate behavior when she is around you, your kids, or anyone in your family.

Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have a friend exactly like this...We have been friends since high school. We are both in our 40's... She left her kids with one of them's father and a good friend... I invited her over for thanksgiving and she was hitting on my 70 yr old single father... So I just found out she is in jail and has been there since saturday.. So I have decided that when she calls me again I will not answer... I believe eventually she will go away...
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think you could say to her like you just did that you don't want any negativity in your life. Maybe she will want to work on things and maybe not? But I think after a life long friendship like that you should be honest with her. Good luck!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Honestly I have mentioned things before, don't do that around my girls, don't do this, it is like I have too keep on reminding her, it is like I have another kid.

I think I will have one more talk with her..
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Sounds like the booze was talking for her. She was probably drunk. Not an excuse but..... I would keep a quaint relationship but I would not include her in family Holidays or get togethers unless she can stay sober which is a long shot. Be friends during the day & keep her out of your family business. "Familiarity breeds contempt". Be nice but do your own thing and don't tell her any more personal things. She has her own problems & seems happy to bring you down with her. Be stern & see her without your family present.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Being that you started it with all that she has done then followed that by what you prefer her not too. I feel that you would love to be friends if she would curb her craziness. I think you should have a no holding back conservation tell her you appreciate her positive days when she is a help but these days are numbered when she screws up and not allowing you to have a talk with your kids dad. Tell her the good things but find a way to tell her how she quickly changes to a evil person who need to control her words.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 2:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I had a friend like this too... So I told her that the friendship was no longer worth it from my view. We couldnt get along, we had nothing in common anymore, and thatI was moving forward with my life while she was staying in the same place. I also thanked her for what she had done for me, wished her the best of luck in her life and that I would appreciate it if she wouldn't try to contact me again.
    Sometimes you just gotta cut people out. It sucks for a while, but in time, you will see that your life is SO MUCH BETTER without the drama.
    Good luck.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes just tell her what you told us....If she is your real friend she will
    understand....
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2010