Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do you handle a non custodial parent who refuses to file taxes for the sole purpose of keeping you from getting the refund?

Ive done some research and have found that the minimum income amount that REQUIRES you to file is up around 7-8 THOUSAND dollars. I honestly do not know if my ex has made over the amount or not but I do know that by then end of the year I will have recieved about 2,346 dollars in support. So I would imagine that he has made at least the minimum to have to file. What do I do? Do I just call the IRS and tattle on him. I feel silly doing such a thing and I am not even sure it will gaurantee me any money but the CS office has told me that my case has been referred to the IRS for a tax refund offset so I at least know that I am due whatever refund he will get up to 2,300 dollars because that is what he owes me in arrears.

Anyone been in this situation before? How did YOU handle it?

Answer Question

Asked by SaturnsMom at 12:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 12 (920 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • I have the same problem- I have considered calling the IRS myself. I believe I will if he does not file taxes this year.

    Answer by skittles1108 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • – collapse
    People shouldn't have children unless they are ALSO able to take care of them in the event of a divorce. I wouldn't file for a refund either if I knew a vulture was waiting for the refund and I wouldn't get anything at all eeven though I HAVE been paying now.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 (hidden) + expand

  • I wouldn't tell on him. They will figure it out. You can't get away without paying taxes. We never get money back, we always owe. How do you know he will get any money back? I wouldn't count on that money.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • I don't see why it concerns you. Maybe I'm not understanding the situation, so excuse me if that is the case. If he doesn't file that's his own problem. Meddling in his financial affairs is childish. Just worry about what you need to do.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • If there's been an "offset" it will come to you if he owes it. You will just have to be patient and wait. I always look at it as a bonus, if it comes that's great, if not, then oh well. You can't count on it to support you.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • His income may not be taxable income but you could call the IRS and have them check it out

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • He can only get away with not filing for 5 yrs, then you can get the IRS to get involved.

    Answer by salexander at 1:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • Anon I totally agree with you - people shouldn't have kids unless they're able to provide for them. Maybe if he were properly paying his child support this wouldn't be a big deal - but he OWES money on the child he helped create. Maybe figuring out what 'arrears' means would be a good idea before judging someone.

    Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • You can turn him in to the IRS, but it sounds like the child support office has already done so. He will be required to file his taxes, and receive hefty penalties/fines for not reporting (unless he has been working under the table and doesn't show any taxable income.)

    Answer by Scuba at 1:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • If he overpays and the government owes him a refund - they don't care whether he files or not! The only way he will ever get in trouble is if HE owes THEM.
    I have the same issue as you - he doesn't file because he knows it's not going to benefit him. But he doesn't pay a dime of child support either, ever.

    Answer by missanc at 1:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.