When age is appropriate for girls to get fake nails?

My daughter is 10 and wants to go get fake nails like mommy lol. When I do go I will treat her to get them professionally painted, but there are some girls at scholl that already are getting their nails "done" - I think its too early, but when?

Tonesgirl

Asked by Tonesgirl at 12:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I agree with you, it's too early. Professional manicures? We saved that for prom. And as far as fake nails? I would say adulthood. It's long past time when we should stop sending the message to our daughters that they are not adequate - and wonderful - as they are and that they need fake nails, nose jobs, and fake boobs in order to be "enough".
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 1:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• RIGHT ON! I did get mine done when I was in high school, but I did it with the money I earned working, I was about 16 I think! LOL
    Tonesgirl

Comment by Tonesgirl (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Well said, missingruth!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yeah I think it is a tad early for fake nails I would say 14-16!!
    mommakoehler88

Answer by mommakoehler88 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• 16 and older. When they are old enough to get a job and pay for it myself.

Answer by louise2 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think maybe once they go into high school might be ok. But then again my little cousins gf is 15 and has them and it just doesn't look right. Make her wait to get them done for her senior prom :-)
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• for weddings or proms but then that is it. It is too high maintenance and really destroys your nails.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would wait until she is at least 15, maybe 16. They are high maintenance, they ruin your real nails, and I think they are a little too "old" for the tweeners.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I did my nails my self in middle school...the ones you buy from the store lol! the "press on" nails..theyre not nearly as damaging! But I started getting my nails done freshman year of high school!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yeah I think high school. Or you could purchase those ones from Walmart.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2010