Social Security disability benefits question...

Have any of you been awarded benefits and told you need to assign someone as your payee to manage your benefits? WTH does that mean? Does that mean they will write out my check for back pay to someone else? Does it mean my monthly checks will be made payable to someone else? I have an appt. with SS today to ask these questions but I am getting more and more pissed off about it..does it mean what I think it does?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• as a payee for my DD, yes they make it out to me. here is how they word it
    C******** E**** for A***** E***
    excep they spell out the names.
    but yes, since she is a minor, I am the payee and I cash the checks for her and go pay her medical bills.
    so yes, it will be made out to the payee
    does that make sense? im not so good with wording things
    MomX3LJC

Answer by MomX3LJC at 1:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My father was just found disabled and my sister is power of attorney so the checks are made out in her name for his name. She is in charge of his monthly finances and isn't of sound mind to make financial decisions of his own. I'm not sure what your disability is but that might be the reason you need to find a payee
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 1:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would check the SS website. They have lots of info there.
    Anonymous

• Thanks girls!! It was sort of a false alarm..I was granted benefits for PTSD and when I went to my interview with Social Security today the worker said it was "recommended" by the state that I have a payee, not "required" so the decision was up to her..apparently she found me of sound mind and body so she waived that recommendation..I was all fired up and ready to ask for an appeal but it was uneccesary, thank god! All she needed to know was that I had been paying my rent and bills on time and that was that! Yay!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010