Are you harder on one child particular?

I have two children and i find that I am harder on my daughter - like cleaning her room, homework, everything - BUT WHY?! she is 10 and not any worse than my son who is 7. They both are good kids, she prob acts better than him, but I find my self giving her more responsiblity to do tasks differently and more efficiently - I take a step back and try to give her more space, but why do i do this?

Tonesgirl

Asked by Tonesgirl at 1:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• When I was a kid my mom ALWAYS expected more from me than my brothers. The only reason that I have ever been able to come up with was that moms have there baby boys and dads seem to baby the girls. And I see this with my friends and family now too. I only have a dd so I can't say for myself.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I appreciate it!
    Tonesgirl

Comment by Tonesgirl (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I have two boys and while I treat them both a little differently (they are 12 & 16), I wouldn't say I'm harder on one more than the other. They may feel different, but the same rules apply to both of them when it comes to chores, school, sports, friends, cell phones, video games etc. My older son does get more freedom given his age, but when he was younger it was no different than it is for my 12 yr old.
    Maybe it would be different if I had a daughter. I know my parents were a lot harder on me being the oldest than my younger siblings.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yeah I am harder on my girls too I don't want them to depend on their looks. I want them to use their brains.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Please stop doing this .... My mother did this to me and my brother all our lives. We're all grown up now and she still does this. The result = resentment on my part and a feeling of superiority on his part. It made it very hard for us to bond and never really liked eachother, It also made me resent my mom .... never really felt she loved me. I'm sure you don't want this for your family.
    cecyh9

Answer by cecyh9 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2011