Are you a custmer service rep?

I filled out an online app for a job coming up in Jan at an insurance co as a customer service rep. The company offers lots of benifits and incentives, so I think that I would like the job. I am good on the phone, and think that I will make a good employee. However, I am not exactly sure what I will be doing. Any thoughts?

A.Perry

Asked by A.Perry at 1:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yo have to have thick skin to be able to do this and be able to bite your tongue. There are some pretty mean people out there and you will be called every name in the book but you cant say anything back.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My guess is you would be the first (or only) contact a customer makes with the company. You could be in claims, new accoutn set up, or general customer service (like questions).

I work a technical form of customer service and I answer the phone and email, answer the customer's questions and help with whatever they need, even if myhelping is passing them to another department based on what they need.

Good luck!!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 1:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I am the office manager/agent at an insurance co. My CSR does everything from answering phones, making policy changes, entering policies... to getting coffee. Computer knowledge is a must and so are people skills. Insurance lingo is important because everyone always has questions. Good luck!
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 1:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I am.. have been for about 6 years... Sometimes people get really really rude.. but you have to stay nice! It's not that bad of a job though.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I'm not, but good luck! I think you'll do fine!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have worked as a customer service rep. You are the first line of communication for the company with which the customer comes in contact. They can be a nice as pie and just want to ask a simple question, or they can be extremely upset and want to take it out on you. Every phone call is different, every customer is unique. You have to keep in mind that they mean nothing personal to you. You have to be firm, yet understanding. It's difficult maintaining this attitude with all callers, but it can be done.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I did this briefly for a while as a temp. It was the hardest job I've ever had and I will never, ever do it again. I also did inside sales and the phone part of that job was similiar. Customer service reps are underpaid and under-appreciated. I hope you have a tough skin because you will get yelled at, hung up on and called names. Your stress level will rise drasticly. You might feel like crying or bitching people out.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2010