How important is heritage and history to your family?

Heritage has always been important on my mom's side of the family, we were raised to appreciate our past. We were taught to be strong because we were descendent of Scottish nobility, Celtic Warriors and Vikings. However the individual stories of past generations are virtually unknown; my family can tell you which generations originated in which countries and we even have a family castle in Scotland which my grandfather gave up ownership of when he was 17 because he couldn't afford the upkeep but no living relatives know even what town this castle is located. My husband is 100% Irish, our children as well as our many neices and nephews are the first generation of his family to be born outside of Ireland. His family also believes heritage is important except unlike my family my in-laws have a library filled with family heirlooms, photos, paintings and journals dating back over 200 years and I love that his family's history is so well preserved. Even after 10 years together I could spend days at his parent's house marveling at all that history; in fact when we were dating he knew how much I loved history and as a date we spent a night looking through family records and some sketches done by an aunt on his father's side dated in 1864.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It doesn't matter that much for me. My husbands descandants are from Ireland. He is in the process of doing his family tree.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I am Polish on my fathers side. His parents were born there. I have many family traditions that I keep.
    It is important to us, as my grand mother was adopted and her birth record destroyed by her bio father. We may never know who her real family was, it is madening.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• History is very important to me, I love hearing the stories from my grandma (and my great grandma when she was around) of our family. My family is so mixed up (and hubby's too) that there are many different things that we are. I would love to pour over the family history your in-laws have. How cool!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It is important to remember where you came from.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 1:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• History is very important to me, although my dad died when I was young so I don't know much about his side, but my mom's side I know tons about. My husband's family has been in this area (Raleigh NC) for over 200 years and there are many streets named after them. They have a family Bible that is from the early 1800s that has a listing of all the births, following through the male line (except in one case where there were only daughters). Since my husband is the only son, it will one day be ours which I'm very excited about.

Answer by missanc at 2:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010