I'm dilated 4 but cervix is still thick and faced at 1 what does all that mean?

My doctor like just left me wondering a lot. I thought they admitted you if you were dilated 4 and he said her head is right there. He didnt even tell me whats next, do I just wait for my water to break or what? I was supposed to have a scheduled c-section but changed my mind cuz the doc said that it would be best to have her vaginally since I'm already at 4 cm. Any ideas or comments are helpful, I am just nervous.

sierranavada

Asked by sierranavada at 1:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You can be dialated for quite awhile before going into labor. Effacing is when your cervix thins out. You just have to wait for contractions.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If you are healthy and fine then there is no reason for unnecessary interventions ( = unnecessary risks).
    This includes a cesarean, and even checking the cervix.

Your body will do as it needs to when it needs to.
    Your brain doesn't *need* to know what your cervix is doing~ forget about that.
    That information seems to be hurtful as you now have expectations.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• in terms of labor you really don't need the hospital until you're having regular and frequent contractions or your water breaks. being dilated to 4 is excellent progress. when you do go into labor you will be further along in the labor process, doesn't mean your baby will be born faster it just means you won't be starting from closed cervix, you will have a headstart. and generally it could mean a speedy labor/delivery but not always. sounds to me like your body is very ready and progressing well on it's own. walk as much as you feel you can, it's great for both you and baby.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Horray, you are so close! Good Luck momma!

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010