Is it okay to take that $4 blood pressure medicine from Walmart while pregnant? ETA

I can't get to the doctor until my insurance for pregnancy goes through and that won't be until January. I have enough blood pressure medicine to last until February. If I don't take it then it gets extremely high and I can die. Will answer any questions anyone has in the replies.

ETA: it is called LISINO/HCTZ 20-12.5 TAB INTERNL LB

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Health

• I'd call another pharmacist or find a free clinic in your area.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• try calling another pharmacy and ask their pharmacist
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Ask your pharmacist.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Could you call into a nurses line or ask a pharmacist?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• is this a refill of a current medication? talk to the pharmacist
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No it is not a refill and my OB nurse won't talk to me until I have my pregnancy insurance. She is a mean person like that, but my OB is the best. The Walmart pharmacist person here is a a** and really rude.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• if it is not a refill, how are you getting a new RX without seeing a doctor?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I got a 90 day supply instead of a 30 day supply. I picked it up 2 weeks or so ago. I just found out I am pregnant today. I have been taking this medicine for over a year now. That is how I am getting it with out a RX from a doctor.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The ONLY Blood pressure Medication that you can safely take while you are Pregnant (that doesn't cross over the placenta) is Methyldopa also known as Aldomet. You CANNOT take any other Blood Pressure Medication. You MUST switch before the end of the first trimester. Please at least call a Doctor for Medical advice and perhaps they can give you a sample pack until your appointment. The drugs I described above can be prescribed as a generic so the cost will be minimal compared to possibly harming your child. Talk to a Pharmacist at least ASAP!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• By the way, you could also go to your regular Doctor not an OBGYN to monitor your blood pressure & for advice. Go to a clinic if you have to. Your OBGYN will send you to a regular Doctor anyway to monitor it. Go to CVS or Walgreens & speak to the Pharmacist at least.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010