For those who Plan Menu's ...

What is on your weekly/Bi-weekly menu plan this week? Do you buy groceries according to the menu or buy groceries and then plan out your menu? Please share your tips, secrets, and advice you have for your method. This will be my first week really doing a planned menu shopping list, so I'm in need of some guidence.

THANKS!

JazzlikeMraz

Asked by JazzlikeMraz at 1:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Shopping

• I get groceries every two weeks. I make out a grocery list as I plan my menu. We do leftovers, so I figure out how many nights the meal should last. Such as soup it lasts about three days here. Just enough to make it last through the two weeks. All I have to go back for is milk.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Sit down with the ads, plan menus based on what is on sale, then buy groceries.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I buy groceries in accordance with whats on the menu. I know I have everything and won't have to run to the store again... I hate the store!
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 1:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I plan my menu with the sale flyer and a working knowledge of what is in my kitchen. After making the menu then I fill out the shopping list with what's on sale and the extras I'll need to make each meal.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I also keep on eye on how busy the week is going to be, so I don't plan a complicated meal for a night when the family will be super busy.
    Dr.Donna

• I plan it out ahead of time. When grocery sopping we buy what we need for certain meals about every two weeks. It seems like I always forget something and have to go back though.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 1:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• What ever is on sale that is what we will be eating with lol. I usaully plan it during the week, it makes it so much easier. So if mozerrella and ricotta is on sale you know zita is for dinner one night, always kids choose night, sandwich night and soup night. So on and so on. It keeps it at a variety and you never know what we are having for dinner.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I shop once a week, our trash day is Friday, so I clean out the fridge and pantry on Thursday. Then because I know what I already have on hand, I can take all of the weekly grocery store ads, and I sit down with my menu planner and plan for the week. My menu has changed a little lately because our kids are older and not always here for dinner. Friday used to be family night, now we do it on Monday, but this will give you an idea what I do.

Monday- homemade pizza night (this is every week)
    Tuesday- chicken- this week chicken enchiladas
    Wednesday- vegetarian- this week broccoli quiche and homemade tomato and roasted red pepper soup
    Thursday- fish- this week tuna casserole
    Friday- pork- this week- oven fried pork chops, baked potatoes, broccoli and dinner rolls
    Saturday- cook's night off....that's right we go out.
    Sunday--Beef- this week roast with veggies

I have a weekly planner and plan breakfasts, lunches and snacks as well.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I grocery shop every two weeks

Last night we had country fried steak, mashed potatoes and broccoli
    Tonight we are having chicken pot pit
    Tuesday - cheesy baked penne and garlic toast
    Wednesday - bacon, eggs, biscuits, and gravy
    Thursday - homemade chicken noodle soup
    Friday - tator tot casserole
    Saturday - homemade salisbury steaks, mashed potatoes, broccoli, and corn
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 3:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2010