Is baby yogurt the same as little kids yogurt?

My little guy love yogurt. As of right now he has been getting the gerber baby yogurt but i can only find two flavors. Id like him to have more variaty with the flavors so i was wondering if kids yogurt would be ok to give him?

nikkik526

Asked by nikkik526 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Baby yogurt has more fat in it.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• kids yogurt has more sugar in it
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If by "kids yogurt" you mean like go-gurt or danimals then no because those are loaded with sugar. I think you'd be better off giving him "adult" yogurt, as long as he's at least 9 or 10 months because of the dairy. But it's been my experience that the "baby" yogurt is pretty watery and not much at all like "adult" yogurt so I don't know if that makes a difference ot not.
    Anonymous

• What I do for my dd is get the plain full fat yogurt that has no flavors or sweeteners, it comes in the 32oz tubs, and add pureed fruit to it for flavor. They don't need extra sugars that are in kid yogurt and the artificial sweeteners in adult yogurts aren't good for them.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Baby yogurt is a waste of money, and some of it (I believe Gerber is one) does not even contain the live cultures that are so beneficial. Buy plain yogurt that is made with whole milk. If you want to flavor it you can add pureed fruit. They don't need the added sugar they put in baby and kid yogurt.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• "kid yogurt" is loaded with sugar, artificial dyes, artificial flavors...not worth it. Like has been said already - get the plain whole milk yogurt and add your own fruit to it, much better than the "baby yogurt".
    Anonymous

• Wait a minute - your baby is only 5 months old?! He shouldn't be having any yogurt of any kind yet! He should barely be starting solids, period! NO MORE YOGURT til he's much closer to a year old!
    Anonymous

• Babies should only have breastmilk or formula for the first 6 mo. They don't need any milk products. Veggies and fruits are good first solids followed by meats. It's usually recommended to wait until at least 9 mo for plain yogurt, longer for yogurt with fruits. I would wait a year or longer since there is no reason to feed yogurt.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:35 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• After 6 months, they can have yogurt made from whole milk--which most of the baby yogurts are. We use the YoBaby brand of baby yogurts, and they also make them for toddlers and older kids. The ones for kids use low fat milk, so babies and young toddlers should use the whole milk ones until age 2 or whatever your pediatrician advises based on their weight, family history, and diet.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• After 6 months, you can buy plain yogurt and add mashed fruit to it to sweeten it (or even leave it plain). There's a TON of sugar in flavored yogurt, so we've switched to this.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2010